Saturday, July 01, 2006

Symbolism in Superman



I just saw the movie, and it was really, really good. Followers of Jesus will notice all kinds of Christ/biblical symbolism: Father/Son becoming one, crucifixion-like poses, discussion of whether or not the world needs a savior, morality and lack thereof in man, apocalyptic events, evil vs. good, resurrection, a returning savior, sacrificial love . . . .

The world not only needs a savior; it desperately wants one. There is a Christ-shaped hole in each of us deeper and wider than comic book craters in the earth. There is a yearning for good to win out over evil, a longing for meaning and purpose and personal value. What a dream, that someone infinitely better than us in every way would deem us worthy of swooping down from the sky to save us and lift us up to be with him.

Sounds too good to be true, but we have him now--gentle as a lamb, wild as a lion, coming back to make crooked things straight and pierce our hearts with a gaze that says "Don't be afraid. I saw you in your despair. I came to give you life." He lives in my heart, but the more time I spend in Metropolis, the more I find myself looking up, searching the sky for the One and Only.

1 comment:

Ken said...

Great take on the film. If more believers would see with the eyes you have the world would be an infinitely better place. Taking the mundane and finding the Divine in it! I love it!

Makes me wanna scan overhead, point and call out, "Look! Up in the sky! It's a bird ... it's a plane ... no, it's ...

Blessings,

Ken