Saturday, October 21, 2006

"Whoooo Are You? Who, Who, Who, Who? (I Really Want to Know)"

First of all, as I began this, I mis-typed “blooger” for “blogger.” I think I have coined a new term, a cross between a booger and a loogey and a blog. It has to be a derogatory term, of course. Ex: “I can’t stand mean bloogers who disagree with me about my favorite food.” “Or, that post is full of tom-bloogery.” Or “That was a bloogericious thing to say.” It’s a pretty versatile term. Kind of proud of myself.

First of all (the real “first of all”), I want to announce that I have joined the ranks (copy-catted is what we used to say on my block) of several bloggers who have recently beautified their sites with Bluebird Blogs. I should be able reveal my makeover around the middle to end of November. I’m SO excited. If you know me well, I bet you can guess what my main color will be.

Secondly, (Why am I so big on transitional phrases? One time a teacher praised me effusively for my use of them, and ever since, I cannot NOT use them. I also love the semi-colon and parentheses, although most people find them annoying. Sorry.)

Where was I? Oh--Secondly, I have been tagged by Susanne at Living to Tell the Story. I’m supposed to respond three times to each prompt. If I knew how to link a song, I would play “Getting to Know You” right now because that’s the theme of this meme. (I can rhyme on a dime.) Actually, The Who’s “Who Are You?” lyrics may be the genesis of all memes:

Well, who are you?
(Who are you?
Who, who, who, who?)
I really wanna know
(Who are you?
Who, who, who, who?)
'Cause I really wanna know
(Who are you?
Who, who, who, who?)

Wow. That’s deep. Anyway, here goes.

Things that scare you:

-Knowing that there are people out there who, if given the chance, will hurt my children (like deranged campus stalkers or boys on spring break).
-Driving on the highway. This would also fall under a later category, “Things I can’t do.”
-Developing Alzheimer’s or ALS (Lou Gehrig’s Disease), esp. before I see my first grandchild. Wow. This first question is a downer.

People who make me laugh:

-Christopher Guest (Waiting for Guffman, A Mighty Wind, Spinal Tap).
-Whoever writes those greeting cards where there is a snapshot from the 1950s with a random caption.
-Erma Bombeck, Dave Barry, Harvey Korman, my brother Donnie.
-Dwight Schrute on "The Office" or any of that cast.

Things I hate the most:

-Violence, even fake violence in the movies.
-Feeling humiliated.
-When parents grieve the loss of a child. I will be so glad to see death swallowed up one day.

Things I don’t understand:

-How in the world our government allowed Terri Schiavo to be killed. I feel very strongly about this; don’t offer any excuses unless you seriously want to go toe-to-toe for hours. I’m not joking.
-Most math.
-Why Wal Mart lines can be short until you start pushing your squealing, starboard-lunging cart to the front, where you notice 50 other people are approaching the front at the same time. And then it’s Evelyn the cashier’s time for break.

Things I’m doing right now:

-Just took two puffs off of my Albuterol because I’m wheezing. (Probably just thinking about Terri Schiavo brought it on.) Jorge, the husband, just told our 17 year old, “Mom’s ‘huffing’ again.”
-Eating that waxy yellow and white candy corn that only tastes good this time of year.
-Denying my 4 lb Yorkshire Terrier waxy candy corn, and she looks like she may die of hurt and neglect and starvation.

Things I want to do before I die:

-Ice Skate. Never have.
-See all of my kids graduate, get married and have or adopt at least one child.
-Live for Jesus.

Things I can do:

-Well, I think I can write.
-Drive a stick shift.
-Usually rise to the occasion of doing something someone wants me to. Then I collapse later.

Ways to describe my personality:

-Loves to laugh.
-“Nurturing?!” (My 17 year old son just yelled that out like he’s on Family Feud)
-Compassionate.
-Nervous. (Bonus answer called out by Jorge, who also just asked if I’m filling out an E-Harmony Singles application.)

What I can’t do:

-Drive on the highway. White knuckles.
-Refrain from telling my teenagers to be careful when they walk out the door.
-Let my house get too dirty.

You should listen to:

-Your heart? JUST KIDDING. *See next set of answers
-Your parents’ wisdom.
-Good radio ministry in addition to your regular sermon.
-The Spinners sing, "I'll Be Around." They're so cool.
-My kid sing the songs from Annie. She had the lead. She’s amazing.


Don't be alarmed; this is just a wig.

You should NOT listen to:

-Your heart, in a lot of circumstances. Jeremiah 17:9 “The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?” Ok, you can listen to your heart, but also listen to the Word, the Holy Spirit (which we often confuse with the heart), and people whom you know to be wise in the Lord. If any one of those voices challenges what your heart says, don’t listen to your heart. Despite what the 80's band "Roxette" says.
-Negative self-talk. If you wouldn’t say it to someone else, don’t say it to yourself. And if you do, don’t listen. You're just blowing off.
-Neil Diamond. Your ears will bleed.

I’d like to learn:

-More about designing web pages.
-More about ancient Israel.
-More about the Bible. I'm enrolled in an exhaustive course right now and loving it. We’re studying Romans.

Favorite Foods:

-Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens, bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens—er—no, that’s not it. I guess it’s:
-Cereal
-My mom’s roast beef and mashed potatoes and gravy.
-Holiday foods.
-Cashews. Nuts.

Beverage I drink regularly:
-“True Fact”: I usually don’t drink when I eat meals. Some people don’t know how I can do this. I probably should’ve listed it under “things I can do.”
-Milk, water. (Yawn.)
-One cuppa coffee in the a.m.

Shows I watched as a kid:

-Carol Burnett. Loved Harvey Korman and Tim Conway just as much.
-Bradys and Partridges of course, but lots of PBS, too.
-As a teen, after school I loved General Hospital (Luke and Laura heyday) and Merv Griffin.

Three people to tag:

Aaah, here’s where I’m hitting a snag. No one will do this, I’m sure. So if you’re reading this, “Go ahead, if you think you’re so big and bad,” as we also used to say on my block. "I double dare ya." I know I have some regular readers from the Perrysbug, OH, area (I’ve been there; it’s a beautiful town) Fort Wayne, and some cross-overs from Susanne and Big Mama, mainly. If this is you, please come out of the dark and reveal yourself. Tell me “Whooooo are you, who who, who who?”

PS: I’ve been on my 17 year-old son to sweep and dust his room today. Until just a little while ago, he had never heard of a meme, so I stopped typing to explain tagging and meming, etc. So just now he said, “Mom, I just tagged you to meme my room. Did it work?” Not hardly.

9 comments:

Susanne said...

I just love coming over here. You always lift my spirits! You do such a good job with these!

Love the term "tom-bloogery". We really need to spread that one around!

The one cup of coffee surprised me. With the name of your blog I was sorta expecting that you had a huge love of coffee. I tried and tried to think of a cute, catchy name involving coffee or the love of it for my site and couldn't think of a thing. So I settled for a picture of it.

And I loooove Erma Bombeck too, I don't know why I didn't think of that when I had the question. It took me forever to think of Mark Lowrey. I get panicky if an answer doesn't come right away. And then forget it. It'll never come.

Your son and your hubby are hilarious. It must be something else living at your house with all these great senses of humor.

And BTW, I totally, totally agree with you on Terry Schiavo. Couldn't believe that that was allowed to happen.

Great job, Linda. It was great getting to know all these little details.

Susanne said...

And I totally forgot to say, How exciting that Susie is making you a new look! She's just great and very talented. I can hardly wait to see what she does for you.

Linda said...

Susanne, I named the blog 2nd cup of coffee with the hopes that people would linger, much like they do over a cup of coffee, when the conversation is good. I do like coffee. In my youth ministry building, we have a coffee bar in operation 4 days/week. It's hard not to order something fun all the time, but I try to limit caffeine consumption--not to mention calories. Sometimes I cannot resist ordering right before a staff meeting, esp. if everyone else is.

By the way, I added a picture of my kid in her Annie costume, you should check it. That was so fun.

Well, I'll bet you'll be my only responder (wah.) Anyway, thanks for the fun.

Melanie said...

Hey! Glad you visited so now I can read your blog. You are funny!!

Melanie said...

Hey. I commented and it went away...anyhoo. Glad you visited so now I can read your blog! You are funny!!!

Big Mama said...

I've been out of town all weekend and am just catching up. I love this post. I know you're funny, but this seriously had me laughing so hard.

First, Dwight Schrute...one of the best characters on T.V. ever.

Second, (note the transition?), I love your transitions.

Lastly, thank you for confirming that 80's band Roxette wasn't necessarily right.

The Human Napkin said...

You crack me up! And I'd love to do this meme... just as soon as I peel the monkeys, I mean children, off me, and get a few minutes to myself. Hopefully in the next couple of days!

Linda said...

Woo hoo! I got a taker!

Pam Warden Art said...

We are so alike it's scary. Even your husband throws the quips around like mine does.
We watch the same shows, live where it snows too much,get locked out of our own homes, have yippy little dogs, love the same Lord, hate violence and I'm a smart alack...natural born.
But there is one glaring difference, I drink a LOT more coffee than you do.
Hugs,
Pam
p.s. I have also ice skated-lots :)It's almost 2 a.m. but I felt I needed to tell you that.