Sunday, November 12, 2006

Forget Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens--Try Buckets of Water and Fuzzy, Cute Chickens "These Are a Few of My Favorite Things" to Give

Anyone who knows me knows that I love chickens--always have, always will. I found a way to combine my love for chickens with people who are in need. At Food for the Poor's Gifts that Keep Giving,you can purchase a flock of 20 chicks for $25.00 to help sustain a family! In other words, this is truly "the gift that keeps giving." Get it? The chickies grow up and lay eggs every single day! Some chickens will be eaten; some will provide a never-ending source of protein. Very cool. Food for the Poor's description says,

This Christmas, give a gift that is unique, practical and multiplies over time. These animals are inexpensive to maintain, can provide an ongoing source of nourishment and can be bred and raised to give an impoverished family a source of income. Your gift will keep giving benefits to the family who receives it.

Oh yeah, you can give goats and pigs, too!

Favorite Gift 2

Matt 25:35 For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in . . .

Can you imagine turning on your faucet and filling your thirsty child's cup with this muddy water? Can you imagine watching your child bend to drink directly from a muddy stream? It happens all the time, all around the world.

For a long time I wanted to give to Water For Life, but I put it off for several reasons. Recently we gave, and I'm so happy about it. Water for Life drills wells, providing healthy water for many families for years to come.

According to the Taipei Times March, 2006:

In the next 24 hours diarrhea caused by unclean water and poor sanitation will claim the lives of 4,000 children. The annual death toll from this relentless catastrophe is larger than the population of Birmingham. Dirty water poses a greater threat to human life than war or terrorism. Yet it barely registers on the radar of public debate in rich countries.

At any one time, close to half the population of the developing world is suffering from water-related diseases. These rob people of their health, destroy their livelihoods and undermine education potential. The statistics behind the crisis make for grim reading. In the midst of an increasingly prosperous global economy, 2.6 billion people still have no access to even the most rudimentary latrine.

Over 1 billion have no source of drinking water.


Matt 10:42 says, And if anyone gives even a cup of cold water to one of these little ones because he is my disciple, I tell you the truth, he will certainly not lose his reward.

Through Water for Life, I actually have a way to give good, clean water to little children.

May our giving cause the world to say, " . . . Thank the Lord… For He satisfied the thirsty, filled the hungry with good things.” (Psalm 107:8a, 9)

4 comments:

Susanne said...

I love gifts like this. Samaritan's Purse always has a Christmas "catalogue" full of stuff like this that you can give towards. I find it exciting.

Melanie said...

Love these. I give throught Samaritan's Purse. They have an online catalog with similar items. They have baby chicks, goats for milk, clean water, and even emergency shelter. I love that the people will hear about Jesus too.

D.S. Lear said...

Water for Life. What a wonderful cause! Doing for others should be our focus and Water for Life is just what Christ offered. Thnak you for keeping me close to the Real "Reason for the Season".

Carol said...

These are wonderful ideas. My sister sent a goat, a couple of rabbits and a couple of soccer balls to a village in our name one year. I liked that way better than a new kitchen appliance.