Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Can't Get My Holly Jolly On - or- Massacre at the North Pole

I hate to be a whiner, but a coupla things are putting a damper on my holly jolly spirit. First of all, deflated Christmas lawn ornaments are depressing. My neighbor's lawn looks like someone went to the North Pole, massacred the citizens and left carnage strewn about. Santa deserves a burial. One of my neighbors has an inflatable sleigh and snowman. The sleigh is in the process of delfating, so it looks like the reindeer is kneeling before the snowman, worshipping him. It's just disconcerting, that's all. Every deflated scene seems to have its own weird, sad little story. Gives me that Tim Burton kind of feeling, instead of the appropriate Andy Williams/Perry Como kind of feeling.

Secondly, I can't find my Christmas music, which is basically an amassment of Amy Grant CDs. I do have some Harry Connick and someone else, but who cares about them. I miss Amy! I know they're around somewhere, and I have turned this house upside down, but they're nowhere to be found. I'm thinking of dangling a reward in front of the teenagers to go to whoever finds them first. Of course, this could be fruitless, since the kids could have hidden them in the first place because they have been perturbed in the past when I started listening to Christmas music in October. Plus, they grudgingly learned all the verses and choruses to every single one of her songs because Amy was as much a part of their young everyday lives as sippy cups and car seats.

So I broke down a bought a couple of CDs today, although I felt like a traitor. I would like to find Dean Martin's Christmas album. He's so smooooooth. And handsome. And drunk. He always seemed to have his holly jolly on.

Anyway, I want to share with you a great radio station that streams all Christmas, all the time, Baby: Life Talk Radio. You just click on the "music, news, and special events" choice, (I think it's the third choice down), hit "GO" and enjoy.

9 comments:

Susanne said...

I must not have a holly jolly at all 'cause I don't get the inflatable ornaments. It screams commercialization to me.

LOL to your kids and Amy. I was gonna say I bet they hid them. And I gotta tell you they'll hideDean Martin too. Don't say I didn't warn ya.

Nancy said...

yeah, the disadvantage to inflatible lawn decorations is what they look like uninflated. You described them well. And yes, I did take the wacky pumpkin man picture. Thanks for visiting.

Melanie said...

The deflated decorations had me laughing. OH MY! Would someone put Santa to rest.
My favorite Christmas CD is The Carpenters. It goes missing every single year. How does this happen? I think there may be a Husband Elf who is involved... hmmmm. If you hear Karen at your house, let me know. If I hear Amy, I'll be sure to drop you a note. :>D

Linda said...

Melanie - I just saw the Carpenters' CD today! I was SO tempted to buy it, too. I may still. Right after I posted this, I turned on TV just in time to see Amy singing.

Linda said...

Nancy-the fact that you posted the picture of yourself in that artsy black and white photo has made my art self-esteem rise a notch because until recently, I had the same style of photo on my profile. OK, not the same quality, but you know, give me an art break. It may be the only one I've ever gotten.

Linda said...

Susanne--We are the only house on our block, perhaps our neighborhood, that isn't decorated. We don't have a grudge against it, we just don't have the time, etc. to do it. We are the "Bleak House" of the village.

Big Mama said...

Oh I laughed at the Christmas decoration carnage. And it's not Christmas for me until I hear Amy Grant sing a few carols.

Deven said...

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Carpenters' Christmas album. I would never have purchased it for myself at the time, but I heard my parents playing it when I was in junior high and fell head over heels. Now that I'm an adult, you'd think I would buy one of my own, but nope. I still have the theived copy. :) That's what Christmas is all about...

Linda said...

Deven, now I am regretting not getting the Carpenters' album and the James Taylor one! Oh no! I cannot spend anymore money on music!