Sunday, December 31, 2006

Gourmet Divine & New Year's Rockin' (Chair) Eve

.








Cindy and Me

So these are the girls I meet with on Wednesday nights. I'm 2nd from the left, standing. One of the girls, Cindy, 2nd from the right, standing, owns her own "delectable foods and confections" company called Gourmet Divine. For Christmas, she gave us one of her products called "Chocolate Velvet," which is European Drinking Chocolate. Friends, this is NOT your average Ovaltine. This is a blend of 100% real dark chocolate and milk chocolate, with each little bead dusted in pure cocoa powder. This is what the color brown was made for, I'm sure. There was probably a river of this stuff in Eden. So right now, I'm enjoying a serving in a mauve demitasse and saucer that she included, as well. I'm hanging onto this girlfriend! Just kidding. I love Cindy, and she knows how much. More than 20 lbs of chocolate! Anyway, this little company is about to take off nation-wide--very exciting! Her chocolate bark with various flavors is to die for!

Well, here we are, winding up '06. Jorge and I are not sure what to do this evening. We are at a place in life that 10 years ago, we couldn't have imagined. Our eldest is in Mexico on a mission trip. I thought she was going to a little impoverished Mexican town. Turns out the population is 600,000. Yikes. After the Natalie Holloway Aruba thing, this is scarier than ever. I told her, "Be careful when you're out; if you have a drink and put it down, don't pick it back up and drink it because someone could have drugged it." At 20, she has heard this more than once. Now she is past the eye-rolling stage and just smiles and nods. She knows that the urge to bellow warnings as she leaves the house is propelled by tsunami-like mother energy.

Our boy is going to a friend's house to a big family gathering. My warning there was, "Do these people shoot off guns at midnight?" He looked at me as if I had asked, "Do these people put socks on their ears and eat parakeets at midnight?" I also asked, "Have you thought lately about what you'll do whenever someone asks if you want a drink?" (Meaning alcohol.) He said, "Yes, I have." "Good," I reply. "What will you do?" He said, "I will say, 'No.'" I told you he is a genius.

Baby Girl just went out the door to spend the night with a friend and her mom. They have been friends since pre-school, so we know them well, and I have no worries . . . except . . . I said, "Now, I don't want you staying up the entire night and running down that immune system, do you hear me? If I find out you did that and you end up sick and having to miss the first day back at school, you are going to be in big trouble. [Silence and change of tone.] Other than that, have fun, Sweetie." She is not past the eye-rolling stage.

So, we are going to have the evening to ourselves. Wow. I remember when it took weeks of planning to accomplish this. The evening is full of possibilities. However, right now, he is working a crossword puzzle and I'm sitting here talking to you. We're going to a friend's house later.

The prospect of a romantic evening reminds me of a story I heard this week from one of the girls in the picture above, who shall, as you will see why momentarily, remain nameless. Apparently, her husband, attempting to be playfully romantic, put a "special" gadget in her stocking this year, which she opened, as people do, in front of their children and her parents, since stockings usually don't contain such interesting items. She was flabberghasted. Her kids began asking, "Mommy, what's that? What's that?" She lied, lied, lied, so fast she couldn't believe herself. She shot her husband a look and later said, "Do you think maybe you could have used better judgment in putting that in my stocking?" Worst of all, one of her teenagers walked by and smirked at her, signalling that she knew the truth about what it was. My friend wanted to crawl under a rock. Now that story made it worth stopping by here, didn't it?!

Well, normally I'm sad to see the year end, but I'm happy to see this one become history. This is actually a good sign, as it shows I have hope for a brighter tomorrow. God is all about today and tomorrow, not the past. And that is one reason this is my favorite verse: "It is of the Lord's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: Great is Thy faithfulness" (Lamentations 3:22-23 KJV).

Bring on 365 new mercy-filled mornings!

4 comments:

Susanne said...

Lovely picture of lovely friends. It's great to have a group of women you can be close to.

That is my favorite scripture and I count on it. God is so good.

Your night sounds more exciting than mine. We're just sitting around watching movies which means my hubby will be snoring by 10. :v)

Happy New Year Linda, to you and your family!

Sissy B. said...

Stopping by to say Happy New Year!!! You sound like a Mom after my own heart! I only have one...and she is almost twelve...but I have already rehearsed all those conversations (with same replies) a thousand times over in my head...so when the time comes I will be ready;)Yes, the stocking story was worth the visit...but I always enjoy my visits here...I to pray not to be "consumed" in the coming year...in fact, I believe you have provided me with my verse for the month;)

Carol said...

Wishing you a blessed (and relatively gadget-less) 2007, Linda!

Melanie said...

"this is what brown was made for" or something like that- loved the visual of the hot chocolate.

I think your friend's husband better watch his back for what is in HIS stocking next year. Oh, the possiblities. I think I would go with something not-so-tacky, but embarrassing. Like Ex-Lax or Preparation-H.