Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Return of Mexicali Rose

"Mexicali Rose," my Spanish-minoring daughter, has returned to her native country and begins boring old college life again tomorrow. We picked her up last night. She is not a demonstratively affectionate girl, but I have to say, when I got out of the van, she came walking toward me quickly with one harm holding a bag and one arm reaching for me. It's a picture I'll never forget.

She had a great time and came home mostly unscathed--however, there was one perilous mountain-climbing day wherein a big guy named Ricky got dehydrated and had to be "rescued," and several kids had trouble getting down the mountain, Mexicali Rose being one of them, who had to crab walk in some places to keep from falling. But fall she did anyway, several times, and bloodied her hands and knees and still has large bruises and a cactus needle in her left shin.

This is a girl, who, I'm not kidding, just showed me a paper cut over Christmas break as if I should jump up and boil water, call an ambulance and hysterically rend my garments out of compassion all at the same time, over a paper cut.

But you know what? She's home! And her prayer tonight at dinner had a definite mature-er ring to it.

Hija casera, más vieja agradable, mi mexicano se levantó!
Welcome home, my eldest daughter, my Mexican rose!

8 comments:

Roxanne said...

First of all, I'm so glad your girl is home again, home again, jiggety jog.

Secondly, I had to laugh because there is a "Mexicali Rose" movie poster over one of the booths in a favorite restaurant of ours. My husband and I sort of ended up seated there several times and always commented on that name--just so fun to say.

Big Mama said...

I know you're so glad that she's home safe and fairly sound. I'm sure there is nothing like a trip south of the border to make a girl appreciate her Mama.

Susanne said...

Welcome back to your girl! You'll have to tell us some more of her adventures.

Melanie said...

I know you are just so relieved and thrilled she is safe at home.

D.S. Lear said...

Welcome home = Bienvenido/a/os/as a casa
So it's true? Absence can make the heart grow fonder?

Ah to have them home in the nest once again..reminds me of something my mother used to say all the time "I cannot sleep until I hear the gravel crunch in the driveway and I know they've all returned". Isn't funny how we don't understand some things until we experience it ourselves.

Deven said...

The Spanish teacher in me has to laugh a wee bit...

May I just take a brief moment to inquire if your Spanish translation cometh from el internet? Put it back through and go Spanish to English, and yours says "Homemade daughter, older pleasant, my Mexican rose!" (Rose here meaning to arise, but in the past tense.) :) With your permission, I'll use this to caution my Spanish students against using internet translators. :)

Linda said...

Deven, of course you may use this! I was a French student in high school, and I know full good and well what el internet-o translations are made of. Although I don't speak any Spanish, I figured it was messed up. I used to have a French pen pal, and one time we were discussing idioms. I used the term "cracked me up," and he replied, "OH-don't EVER say that again. It's vulgar! You want to say, 'I split the peach.'" Huh? that sure sounds racier to me, but it's all relative. But I am sort of partial to "Homemade Daughter." It puts and end, once for all, the question of whether . . . nevermind!

Deven said...

That's what I thought about homemade daughter. Very suggesting... :) But thanks for the permission. Sometimes it's hard to moralify my students into actually looking up the words on their own when the internet is SO handy. Thanks for being a good sport. You split the peach!