Sunday, January 14, 2007

Voltage

Voltaire, the snooty French writer/philosopher who apparently hated Christianity and censorship and would have been seriously jealous of Jerry Seinfeld's puffy shirt, is said to have LOVED a wicked-good cup of coffee. Supposedly, he drank 50-80 cups of coffee a day. Gives new meaning to the word "Voltage." (Yeah, I made that last line up--while enjoying some creative lighter fluid myself.) I wonder how you say, "I'm Jonesin' for a Speed Ball on a leash" in French (regular coffee with a shot of espresso, to go).

It's hard to get going every morning without my cup o' Voltage. The other morning, I sat down at the computer at 6:00 a.m. BC (before coffee). I was looking through papers that I needed to take care of that day and started to make some notes about my son's application for a competitive scholarship--important stuff under the gun of a deadline. After I'd jotted a word or two, I realized I had written directly on the application. In red felt pen. I should never pick up a pen before picking up the cup. Note to self: "You're not up 'til you've had a cup. Cup = Up." It wasn't embarrassing at all to email the admissions office, admit what I'd done and ask for another application. Let's just hope the sin of the mother does not taint the son.

Question: How do you know you're addicted to coffee? When you have a picture of your mug on your mug.

5 comments:

Susanne said...

The red pen thing sounds so like something I would do without that first cup! And even I don't have a mug with a pic of my mug on it. Now that is serious! :v)

Carol said...

Word! No doing anything requiring even low-level brain function without the requisite cup 'o joe. It's words to live by.

D.S. Lear said...

I knew that I was addicted yesterday morning when I pushed the button on my machine and NOTHING happened! I literally panicked like a crazed "crack" addict...my poor husband came by at the wrong time and asked "can I help you?" And I screamed yes go BUY ME A POT!
Then I awake this morning and I see your mug....you win...I had a momentary lapse in judgement...you take the "MUG"!

The Human Napkin said...

I gotta have at least two cups before I'm functional. And I can't tell you how many times I've accidentally written on something in red or blue Sharpie. Really, someone should hide those from me.

samurai said...

Thank you for dropping by my humble little blog...

Your felt pen story made me laugh. Although I have never learned to appreciate the taste of a good cup of coffee I love the smell of freshly ground coffee.

Once I forgot the lock combination to my locker at the National Guard. A lock I have used for over six years. That is until I had my first gulp of caffein! It was like a little light bulb lit up over my head. LOL

Take care...