Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Two quick comments

First of all, I deleted the post about Prince and his Aunt Jemima headware because it offended someone. Honestly, it did cross through my mind that someone might think twice about it, but what I couldn't believe, AND MY POINT WAS, that I could NOT believe he actually wore that, for the reason that it smacked of racism. It looks exactly, I mean EXACTLY like that character. I even wondered if he did that on purpose. So, my post came across wrong, and I apologize. Race is a tricky issue. The first comment I've ever made even remotely related to it got an ANONYMOUS negative remark. So I guess I used poor judgement. But then again it is my blog . . . and if you had signed your name I would respect you more.

Also, I'm sick with a high fever and horrible chilling and aching for two days; this is the first I've been up in hours. So i may have rambled. I also found out my son did not get the scholarship today and my prospective employer still has not called, and tomorrow it will be a week since the interview. Everything here is shut down because of blizzardy weather, and I'm honked off about everything.

9 comments:

Susan said...

Know that I'm praying for your speedy recovery and healing. I didn't think your post was racist at all...it was an observation. I thought it looked hokey, personally.

Hope you're feeling better soon...and STAYING WARM!!

:-) Susan

Roxanne said...

I tried to comment. . .did you get it?

E-mail me. . .

roxanne.langley@cfisd.net

This is more an e-mail than a comment. . .I'm sorry someone got mad at you. If my comment didn't make it through, let me know and I'll RE-comment--but it's nice.

Melanie said...

Hey-
I hope you feel better soon and I respect your decision to delete the post. It is hard to post something and be sure of the response. We don't really know a person by only reading their blog- we just have to come up with our own perceptions. I deleted a negative anonymous comment once on my blog because I didn't want it to start a discussion that could go really wrong.
Anyway, I think you did the honorable thing- deleting the post for respect of the commenter and also writing an explanation about it.
Feel better soon!

Carol said...

Lifting you up in prayer, whether you like it or not, Linda. get well soon. Sorry 'bout the scholarship. Hang in there about the job. Let the snow slow you down a little.


And don't worry about people. Some folks take themselves way too seriously. The world would be a much better place if we would just all lighten up and learn to poke fun at ourselves a little.

Seriously.

lilo's mom said...

Linda - I hope you are feeling better. It's so sad that people are easily offended by straightforward conversation...it makes it hard to talk anymore because surely we'll offend someone!

It sounds like you are due for a really good day -- I pray that today is it!

samurai said...

Praying that you feel better soon.

dana said...

I hope you are feeling better soon. Shad and Zac have been sick, and Erika and she isn't even at home! I guess it has really been going around.

Linda said...

Hey, for some reason I was not able to access Dana, Carol, Lilo's mom, or Roxanne, but I can never reach Roxanne! Thank you all for your encouraging words. I'll be back reading you soon.

Roxanne said...

I understand someone being offended by your Prince get-up, but, hey. . .if the turban fits. . .

You probably would have done the same thing if it had been Paris Hilton in a turban, but no one would have had anything to say about that.

I hope you are feeling better, but before I go, I must say that "honked off" might possibly be one of the funniest things I've heard ever. And frankly, I'm honked off that I've live 37 ½ years without having been introduced to such a phrase. I will start to use it as soon as I find an situation appropriate enough to merit such a gloriously expressive mixture of words.