Friday, March 21, 2008

Spring

OK, I know; yesterday was the first day of spring, and today is Good Friday, yet I posted about Good Friday yesterday and about spring today. I just felt very meditative yesterday and very joyous today. I have not lost sight of today's significance, by any means. But really, that's what Good Friday encompasses, a time of great sorrow but ultimately great joy.

Anyway ... on to spring:

"It's SPRING!" said the frog. "It's SPRING!" said the groundhog ...." Oh how I loved hearing those introductory words from this book when I was little, and how I loved reading the very same words to my three when they were itty bitty bunnies themselves.

Garth Williams' illustrations were so soft and rounded, like my mother's voice. This type of illustration preceded the angles and wiry lines of 60's illustrations featured on a lot of retro blog headers nowadays. I think I nearly "became" a bunny as I studied the animals and listenend to my mother narrate so sympathetically about the plight of the nomadic bunny.

Just so you're not left sleepless wondering--the bunny does indeed find a home. WHEW! Plus a pretty little white bunny to play house with. (winkety, wink-wink)

Can you believe the rain the country is receiving? Ten to twelve inches in some places. It reminds me of Psalm 65:

He waters the earth to make it fertile. The rivers of God will not run dry! He prepares the earth for his people and sends them rich harvests of grain. He waters the furrows with abundant rain. Showers soften the earth, melting the clods and causing seeds to sprout across the land. Then he crowns it all with green, lush pastures in the wilderness; hillsides blossom with joy. The pastures are filled with flocks of sheep, and the valleys are carpeted with grain. All the world shouts with joy and sings.

The blue sky seemed to ring out today: God has granted us another spring!

Bonus bunny pics--Behold: "Little Bunny Foo Foo" and "Saddlebags Steals Cookies." I thought the Easter Bunny was supposed to bring treats, not take them. If somebody cast a spell on me and turned me into a rabbit, I would totally be this bunny: computer to blog about it, cookies to gnosh on while blogging, and the body type testifying to the love of cookies.