Monday, March 26, 2007

The Birthday Meme: October 4

Carol at She Lives tagged me while I was chillin' with the Half-My-Age Homies at the youth conference, so I'm just now getting to it. What you do IS ... you go to Wikipedia and enter your birthdate sans the year. You report 3 events, two birthdays, one death and one holiday type thing. Tag 5 more people.

OCTOBER 4

Events

Launch of Sputnik I, the first artificial satellite to orbit the Earth.

The CBS television show Leave it to Beaver debuts, starring Jerry Mathers as Beaver

Eastern Air Lines Flight 375, a Lockheed L-188 Electra, crashes on takeoff from Boston's Logan International Airport, killing 62 of 72 on board after a bird strike. [This means that a bird actually caused this wreck. Yikes. There are scads of crashes on October 4th. Note to self: No birthday flights for me.]

Two births: Two American actors of legendary talent and highly respected bodies of work: Charlton Heston and Dame Alicia Silverstone

Death: Secretariat. The race horse.

Special Event or Holiday:

World Animal Day is celebrated each year on 4 October. On this day, animal life in all its forms is celebrated, and special events are planned on locations all over the globe. 4 October was originally chosen for World Animal Day because it is the feast day of Francis of Assisi, a nature lover and patron saint of animals and the environment. Numerous churches throughout the world observe the Sunday closest to 4 October with a Blessing for the Animals.

However, World Animal Day has now gone beyond being the celebration of a Christian saint and is today observed by animal-lovers of all beliefs, nationalities and backgrounds. [Thank goodness they went ecumenical!]

Official Vestment of World Animal Day, October 4. Note that it is lavender, my favorite color.

Tagging 5, as directed:
Tammy
Susan
Southern Girl who speaks Memphonian (see post below)
Deena
Clemntine

7 comments:

Deena said...

Okay...I did my duty...my day was so DEPRESSING...even way back in the day....no wonder I'm an Eeyore!! LOL!

Susan said...

OKAY, I promise I'll play as soon as I am back home tomorrow and don't have to be connected to a WIRE to do Internet!!

:-) Susan

Susanne said...

I knew I liked you for a reason. Anyone born on the same day as Leave It To Beaver airs is tops in my books! :v)

Southern Girl said...

Fun meme! I'll definitely do it tomorrow -- be back to let you know when I have. :)

Southern Girl said...

Okay, my meme is up! Thanks for the tag! :)

Clemntine said...

I did it, but I forgot to come back and comment. Thanks for tagging me for my first meme.

Most informative. Come on over and see!

Susan said...

I just finished the entire Meme and BLOGGER ATE it!!! Grrrr!!! I'll try again tomorrow.

:-) Susan