Thursday, March 29, 2007

He's Safe!


Remember this line about Aslan from The Lion, the Witch and Wardrobe?

"Then he isn't safe?" said Lucy.
"Safe?" said Mr. Beaver; "don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good."


I thought about those lines last night when Sanjaya was declared “safe” for yet another week. Only in my head I heard, “Safe? ‘Course he is safe. But he isn’t good.”

I must come clean: this kid is growing on me like … the hair on his head, exponentially every week.

I have a soft spot for teenagers anyway, and he just keeps plugging away at it every week, taking the bad with the good, all the time bearing a huge grin. True, sometimes Simon’s critical comments go right over Sanjaya’s head, but he just keeps smiling and coming back and trying to do what everyone’s telling him to do.

I’m a little afraid for Sanjaya after this competition is over. I’m afraid greasy, slimy promoters will get their hands on him and will eventually mess him up, a la Britney or Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter) who is currently receiving rave reviews for starring in Equus. Recently I saw Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira praise Daniel Radcliffe for how “brave” he is to take on this role, especially with the nude scene and everything. [Excuse me, but “Barf.”] Don’t know what Equus is about? It ain’t pretty. Go to Wikipedia if you must. For me, this signalled another role model, or at least, kids’ icon, biting the dust. Sorry for the rant, but I just don’t want this sweet kid to get messed up.

Sanjaya is a courageous 17 year-old. Most teenagers have trouble looking an adult in the eye during a conversation, let alone singing alone on stage in front of millions--millions who cry every week, whether it’s the 12 year-old girl crying out of love, or the judges crying for mercy, or viewers at home crying from auricular stress. He had us at … “Hello, hair.”

So, Sanjaya has a mandate from the people, or at least from many 12 year-old girls: “You are cute. You have cute hair. Come back next week.”

I gotta give him his props, Dawg.

5 comments:

Susan said...

OK, I have to agree with you that he DOES approach this with a GREAT attitude. I also remember the love with which he comforted his sister when she didn't make the final cut. BUT...he really DOES need to go. He's no where NEAR the league of the other singers...including the ones that have been voted off in the last two weeks.

I AM amazed at the power of the twelve year old...though.

:-) Susan

Susanne said...

Totally thought the same way. He seems like a genuinely nice, likeable kid. I hope it stays that way for him. I hope he can always keep that huge smile and not let all the harsh judgements embitter him.

Deena said...

LOL! I loved your twist on the Narnia quote!

I'm boycotting this season...just doesn't appeal to me, for some reason...maybe it's the Sanjaya factor...

Tammy said...

Oh Susan...dear sweet American Idol Susan...I haven't the foggiest what you're talking about...;)
But I just love the way you word it all, and I'm laughing anyway. (And the post below comparing Zoe to that guy's hair...hilarious!) :D

Morning Glory said...

Hi Linda, This was so fun to read and so right on. What IS it with Sanjaya? He's not a great singer and he seems clueless so often, but he keeps getting voted to stay. It must be the abundance of hair and teeth. He's like a cute puppy. Your take on him is hilarious.

Thanks for stopping by my blogs today. It's always nice to "meet" a new face. Yes, I took all of those sunrise/sunset photos except the ones that are identified as being from someone else. I think there are about 3 like that. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit, and please come back again.

Regarding the Woman to Woman writing event, the next subject will be posted next Thursday and a reminder on April 9, both on my blog and Lei's blog. Hope to see you there.