Wednesday, March 07, 2007

March 8: Happy International Women's Day!

Yes, it is really is International Women's Day. Eighteen years ago, I was "celebrating" this day by doing the most feminine thing a woman can do--giving birth.

I was 25 years old. I was scared I was going to have a boy. I didn't care for little boys' toys or clothes. I thought boys were sneaky and mischievous. I certainly didn't want a teenaged boy with raging hormones. And then ... they handed him to me.

He was a sweet little boy who smiled early and never stopped smiling. He liked his pacifier, being rocked to sleep, being read to, working puzzles, playing video games, eating and sports. He has always had a great sense of humor and has been respectful and almost too compliant. He never put up a fuss about going to church, something I thought all teenaged boys did. He has a strong sense of justice and feels for the underdog. Has been a straight A student and scored off the charts on the SATs. He is my boy.

Here is a picture of my 8lb 10oz boy, and here he is now, a high school senior. Here is Grandpa on dad's side. Have you ever seen a boy look more like his grandpa?

Well, that is my moment of indulgence for today. I deserve it--he was long overdue by the time he came on March 8, 1989. I am thanking God today for overriding my fear of little ones of the male persuasion. God knew exactly what we needed in this family and who we needed. My son has brought me NOTHING but joy! I am blessed, blessed, blessed.

I love you, Jordan.









10 comments:

Susanne said...

Happy Birthday, Jordan! It sounds like you've turned into a wonderful young man! Your mom is sure proud of you! May the Lord lead your steps and may you be blessed with peace and joy this year!

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday, Jordan!

What a handsome young man.

I think you deserve a prize for giving birth to well, a ham. MY GOODNESS! Nearly 9 pounds! And you are smiling in the photo!

Happy Day!!

Christy said...

How sweet...I hope he has a wonderful birthday!

Sandy said...

What a handsome boy ... er ... Man!

You look like a kid in that pix! ha.

Blessings!

Deena said...

Wow...what an amazing post! Isn't God such a wonderful God to give you a blessing like that. What an honor and a privilege to be given these incredible people to raise...Happy Birthday to both Jordan and to mom...be blessed today!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Welcome to the Party!

Hope you're enjoying it. I'm from Birmingham, England, and have a Star Trek blog. Please drop in.

Liz said...

That was so sweet.. I have always wanted a little girl, but got 2 boys instead.. I love them with every ounce of what I am so your story touched me as your son is grown and seems to be so wonderful!

Southern Girl said...

Wow, what a cutie! That's one good-looking young man. Happy Birthday to him -- and to you! Moms get to celebrate just as much as their babies. ;)

Roxanne said...

Oh, happy birthday to your boy. . .and thanks for your comment on my blog as always. Mine is still enjoying his new rug tonight. . .and I know the time flies away.

Carol said...

Happy birthday, Jordan!

Linda, I was like you - didn't want a boy. Mine weighed 8# 10oz, too.

WHAT WERE WE THINKING!!?!?! Sons rock!