Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Scooter, I Feel Your Pain

I don't know who Scooter Libby is or what he did that earned him a conviction, but I feel his pain. Apparently, the straw that broke the camel's back in his conviction was his assertion that someone told him something on a Tuesday; he forgot it by Thursday, but then he remembered it on a Friday or something along those lines.

"No way, Scooter!" the frenzied crowd cheered. "What kind of fools do you take us for?" The mad crowd who convicted him was obviously in their twenties.

All I know is, this pattern of forgetting and remembering is quite typical in my stage of life. If you asked me what I had for breakfast yesterday, I wouldn't remember it. But later in the afternoon during staff meeting prayer requests, I might shout out, "Bagel!" or my husband's social security number.

Anyone named "Scooter" can't be all bad. "Scooter Libby" is too close to "Beaver Cleaver" for having done real damage.

And Valerie Plame? What kind of name is that? If I had been engaged to Mr. Plame, I would have said, "Before I accept this ring, it's either going to be Mrs. 'Plane' or 'Flame,' but not 'Plame.' Which is going to be?"

I feel your pain, Scooter.

5 comments:

samurai said...

Man that made me think...

Once I could not remember my locker combination at my Natinal Guard unit. A lock I use all the time for about seven years. I walked up to the lock and twisted the dial... nothing but random numbers! LOL I scratched my head... went and got a Coke (my prefered form of caffeine) took one sip... A-HA! RR-LL-RR! click...

Praying for your Prodigal said...

What a great post!

It is a strange world we live in! I so agree with you!

Diane

Roxanne said...

I have to go back and repeat either what I was saying or doing before I forgot whatever it was I was supposed to remember or was in the middle of. . .I say it in abbreviated form such as, "There, you, paper, grade. . .OH okay."

Then I remember. BUT if Scooter had also been found talking to himself, then that would have been double trouble. . .

Melanie said...

You crack me up.

Big Mama said...

I went to dinner with some friends tonight and I was astounded at the things that I can't remember. It's sad really...now what was this post about?