Tuesday, March 27, 2007

We Went "Downtown"

I have to get serious. The Indy Mini-Marathon is is May 5. That's 13 miles, people. And I nearly died running through O'Hare airport. I was sucking my inhaler in my seat like it was the oxygen mask that falls down in case of emergency. Today I walked/jogged four miles. It takes me about 50 minutes. That means it'll take me 3-4 hours to complete the Mini. I got some new shoes because I haven't bought any in years. I like these because they're brown, very trendy. Jorge, the husband, said, "Tell the truth. Did you just buy these because you liked the way they looked?" I said, "No ..." with my fingers crossed behind my back. They feel OK, but it's not like I tried on a lot of other pairs or anything. Or even one other pair.

So I put them on, ready to roll, when a tiny fur ball went nuts, communicating she wanted to go, too. I know what this means. It will take us forever to get down to the corner and back, which is only about 1/10 of a mile. When your legs are four inches long, you can run really fast and not get too far. Plus, she likes to stop along the way, to read other dogs' "pee mail."

But could you tell this little thing no? I read a Peanuts strip the other day where one of the characters posed the question, "What are the saddest words you've ever heard?" And Snoopy replied via thought bubble, "You be a good dog and stay home." As soon as I remembered those words, I crumbled and put her harness on her.

We trekked to the corner and back in twenty minutes, driving every dog on the block nuts. I think they think she's a squirrel. Then I walked by myself. When I came in, my kids were dying because Zoe and I stunk like out-of-doors (That's spring, kids). So I gave Zo-Zo a "bath," which Zoe would answer as equally the saddest word in the world. She hates baths.


So into the mud sink she went. She's so fluffy, and when she's watered down, I know, don't say it--she looks like a rat. But I always sing to her the whole time to soothe her. Today I treated her to Petula Clark's "Downtown," which is one of the first songs I can ever remember hearing.

When you're alone and life is making you lonely
You can always go - downtown
When you've got worries, all the noise and the hurry
Seems to help, I know - downtown
Just listen to the music of the traffic in the city
Linger on the sidewalk where the neon signs are pretty
How can you lose?


(I chose this because I thought she would dig the street stuff, because of our walks.)

The lights are much brighter there
You can forget all your troubles, forget all your cares
So go downtown, things'll be great when you're
Downtown - no finer place, for sure
Downtown - everything's waiting for you


Every time I got to the "Downtown" part, I heard Kristin and Jordan in the family room yelling, "DOOOOWN TOOOOWN!" and laughing. Everyone's a critic. Come to think of it, my singing may be the real reason Zoe hates baths so much.


In her towel, she looks like Yoda.








But look how perfectly bee-utiful she is when she's blow dried. And then we have the requisite cheese payment for being such a good girl under duress. If she could, I think she would vote for Sanjaya--something about their hair makes them sympatico.

9 comments:

Susanne said...

Cute shoes! And I'm sure they do run real good, too! Your Zoe is too adorable. Maybe we should send her and Samson on a blind date.

Roxanne said...

Well, you read my whole pink shoe/red shoe crisis where I ended up with BOTH pair--so buying them 'cause they're brown sounds fine by me. And I'm not really into dogs either big or small--but that puppy of yours--well, she is just about the cutest thing ever in the history of the world.

And you have given me a song that I don't MIND being stuck in my head the rest of the night--and oldie but a goodie.

Deena said...

Now, that's my kinda pooch...she's a doll!! And she likes cheese too?? Gives my dog gas...a very bad thing...

Kelli said...

She certainly must SING better than Sanjaya!

Nancy said...

You can do it Linda! The right shoes make a big difference. (What do I know; the longest run I've EVER done was a 5K.) I'm pulling for you!

amanda said...

She is precious!!!

My Gilby loves cheese too!

what a cute blog post!

samurai said...

Praying for your little trek. You are braver than I am. 13 miles... not anytime soon! LOL

I once did do a 12 miler with a 40lb ruck in 2:48 though... but that was when I was a 'little' younger. ;-)

Elizabeth said...

You had me giggling at "pee mail" and it just kept on going! Great post and your dog is sooo cute. :)

Sincerity said...

" Pee mail!" LOL! I love it!

Zoe is sooo CUTE!