Monday, April 30, 2007

Breaking Up is Hard to Do


I'm not sure why my computer has essentially broken up with me. Maybe from time to time I've dropped a few crumbs between the keys or splashed a little coffee on the keyboard. Maybe I've pointed to something on the monitor and left my greasy fingerprint a few too many times. Perhaps I've raised my voice a time or two when it was feeling sluggish. I know I am guilty of taking it for granted. I am owning up to my responsibility in this break-up, but really, I never saw it coming.

What am I saying?? I'm in denial! The truth is, I saw it coming a few days ago. I would turn it on in the morning, and the screen would flash and fade. We worked up a whole routine about leaving it on 60 seconds, shutting it off, waiting and then turning it back on. It only showed slight interest and then went black. We expanded the waiting routine to getting up and leaving the computer desk, doing a quick chore, perhaps performing a tap dance for it and bringing a love offering to it upon returning. The response only diminished as the days went by.

"It's just depressed," I told everyone in the family, but I knew it was more than that. You see, my son's graduation is coming up, and we are doing a whole video/picture montage to show at open house. So, I had a sneaking feeling something big was brewing. You don't go on a romantic getaway to Hawaii right before you file for divorce. You don't do an open house montage right before shutting down for the last time.

Husband, in the role of a technical Dr. Phil, is checking into fixing it. In the meantime, I have a limited amount of time in which to check in, read a few notes and pour out my heart in sorrow. Just know that while Computer has broken my heart, it has not broken my spirit. I still have you, my blogging girlfriends. I still have American Idol. I still have ... other stuff--don't I? Sniff.

In the meantime, go see Lisa, The Preacher's Wife for the post "Tour of the Zoo de Poo" that I wish I'd written instead of this one. But I'll be back, hopefully tomorrow, with a post about my DiscipleNow weekend.

6 comments:

Melanie said...

So, do you have an official "break-up" song that you will be playing in your room over and over? ;>)

Southern Girl said...

Aww, I'm sorry your computer is sick! Hopefully it can be fixed, but if it can't and you're in the market for a new one, may I suggest you look in the direction of a Mac? Recently a friend told me that a Mac tech told her that it's just not cost-effective to hire many Mac techs 'cause they don't need them -- Macs don't break unless something truly catastrophic happens to them.

I LOVE my MacBook. ;)

Susanne said...

Awww, I've heard that ice cream helps a break up. Right out of the carton with a tablespoon!

JennaG said...

You're so funny--hope your computer is well soon.

Jen said...

hope you can fix it

Rhonda said...

I love Susanne's suggestion of icecream. Yummy!! How about shopping?!? I always like buying myself something new, or getting my hair done when I went through a break up. Yes - a trip to the spa!! That should do it!!!

Can't wait to hear about the discipleship weekend!