Friday, April 27, 2007

I'll Bet Your Weekend Won't be as Exciting As Mine

I know yours won't be as exhausting. Ordinarily, I wouldn't make such a brash statement because my eighty-something parents usually have more exciting weekends than I do.

But not this weekend. In approximately 43 minutes, my doorbell will begin to ring, firing up my dog's nervous system like a July 4th rocket, signalling that 12 middle schoolers will be dropping off their "supplies" for a weekend at my house. Twelve. 12. 6 Boys, 6 Girls. MIDDLE SCHOOL.

It's Oneighty's biggest weekend of the year, a discipleship event rather than an outreach event, called "DiscipleNow." One hundred eight students, middle and high school, are meeting at church for general sessions with a guest speaker and then dispersing into smaller groups staying in host homes over the weekend.

My role is to provide a safe place for them to meet and sleep, offer snacks, and save my dog from being mauled. Two college students active in ministry will be at each group serving as small session facilitators. I have never met our college students yet. I hope they are intimidating. But loving, of course.

Our oldest daughter, Little Napoleon, will be a college leader in another host home. I told her host mom not to worry; Daughter is an old pro at this, having been through many of these as a student herself. So between her history with DNow and her first-born tendencies, she will whip those middle schoolers into shape. Lovingly, of course.

The son and other daughter are participating as well. I have been working over time in the office for a couple of weeks preparing for this. You cannot imagine the details that have to be taken care of to pull something like this off.

So here we go, another DiscipleNow is under way! Woooo! Fire up! Hyper boys! Stinky feet! Sensitive girls! Nervous dog! Soda spills! Bring it on!

The first bell just rang--not kidding--dog is successfully launched--let the games begin--here we go!!!

14 comments:

Roxanne said...

Really, really, REALLY want you to e-mail me details of this event. That sounds like so. much. fun.

Of course, I spend most of my week maligning middle school aged children--but I really like them. The PROBLEM is that I am supposed to keep the still and quiet and teach them something out of a book. Your weekend sounds like lots more fun than that.

Susanne said...

"Dog is successfully launched". LOL! Poor Zoe. She's gonna need a valium!

As you well know, I have a little Napoleon too! I'll have to get her to channel those tendencies into something like this!

Have a great weekend.

Sharon @ Little Lessons said...

You (and the kids) will SERIOUSLY be in my prayers this weekend. DNow is a great program. I pray that God will pour out a double blessing on you for your role in the lives of these kids.

elasticwaistbandlady said...

Chanting "Lord, grant me the serenity....." might be a good place to start!

Melanie said...

Can't wait for the post!!

Rhonda said...

I have the same eldest daughter. She has been leading and teaching for quite some time. It's wonderful to have an avenue to channel all of that 'bossiness'. I mean leadersip qualities.

Hope you get some sleep. However, it certainly sounds like an awesome weekend for the kids. I love discipleship.

Clemntine said...

Have a ROCKIN' weekend, and don't forget to post the photographic evidence!

Tammy said...

Oh wow...you are a brave woman! Middle schoolers...I was scared of them even when I was one! ;)
But I know God will bless this...can't wait to hear all about it!

Connie Barris said...

Been there done that...

and have one more child to go...

dear one.. I'll pray....

I can't wait to hear this story....

(I'm still laughing on the stinky feet, what is it about kids and their feet? my daughter had the worst)

Connie Barris said...

CHanging the subject a little unless of course the kids don't behave...

here is something for zoe...

http://monkeygiggles.blogspot.com/

The Preacher's Wife said...

You could also call it Blog Fodder Weekend...

Can't wait to hear how it went!!

:))

Susan said...

Wonderful wonderful ministry!! And hitting kids at the RIGHT ages! Praying all has gone well and that great things have happened.

Blessings.

:-) Susan

Jen said...

praying you have a good weekend

JennaG said...

I bet you're right.