Thursday, April 12, 2007

ow. OW!

This will be a one-of-a-kind post. As I am typing this, I'm pressing a microwave-heated plate covered in a microwaved wash cloth over my left ear. Which leaves my right hand to hunt and peck at the keyboard, so this will also be a short post.

Remember when I went to Tulsa for the youth conference? The cabin pressure in the air beat me up big-time. It has not gone away. Also, I have a huge canker sore in my throat, which I've now learned can also cause an earache. So I'm looking up all kinds home remedies. Some are worse than the pain of the earache. I passed on them.

But I have tried:

Turning the blow dryer on low and directing it into the ear. Not effective.

Heating up olive oil and having my husband pour some into the ear canal. This was quite a feat. We were both laughing so hard, even though my ear was pounding.

Heating aforementioned plate and applying it. This feels really silly. Which, of course, compels me to tell the whole world I'm actually doing it.

And although I'm really trying not to refer to Sanjaya in every single post, I cannot help but wonder if this the fall-out of 10 successive weeks of listening to him.

11 comments:

Melanie said...

This may sound like a dumb question, but have you been to the doctor?

Tammy said...

OW is right! I'm wincing here, just reading this! And I have to second Melanie's question...have you gone and had it looked at? If not...go...blog friends' orders!

Also...I just read your post below, too...how you get some non-AI person like myself to laugh at your AI posts shows pure talent! :D And now I'm humming that song...

Susanne said...

Oh, friend, praying for you. That must just be awful. I can't remember my last earache but boy my girl suffered with them and I remember what it was like with her. Now GO SEE THE DOCTOR!

Kelli said...

The only thing that has ever worked for me was warm pipe smoke being blown in my ear. Grandpa used to do that. Hmmmm- praying though. Nothing is as painful as an earache.

Clemntine said...

Decongestant. Get some sudafed (the real stuff) or, if you have it, Wellbid (awesome, 12-hour stuff, prescription only, though).

Alternate Tylenol (works on the pain receptors in the brain) with Motrin (anti-inflammatory) every 4 hours.

A-B Otic (by prescription in the US, OTC in Canada) is a topical analgesic-anesthetic that's very effective. If anyone you know has had an ear infection recently, they might have some you could talk them out of. You can use that stuff every two hours.

Feel better, and thanks for the questions. That was fun.

Susan said...

Ear pain is the absolute worst.

:-) Susan

amanda said...

I'm sorry to laugh at your pain...but thinking about your hubby pouting olive oil down your ear and you typing w/one hand just has me laughing! And I agree, let's chalk it up to Sanjaya!

Connie Barris said...

girl....you are worse than me...

if you have tried motrin, olive oil??? and an analgesic ear drop,
then it is time to go see the professionals...

ever wonder why we like to tough it out?

Baby, if there is a drug out there, give it to me...

I waiting on your next post...

my doc said I had sanjayitis and the cure is take two simons,and call me in the morning....

Susanne said...

Hope you are feeling better after a good night's sleep. Have you made a doc appt. yet? If not, then why? Hmmmmm? Can you tell I just finished answering you interview questions?

Southern Girl said...

I hope you're feeling better today and have been to the doctor by now! I feel for you with that earache. I had one once that made the whole side of my head hurt terribly.

My mom used to tell me how her father, who was a smoker, would blow cigarette smoke in her ear when she had an earache. Sounded terrible to me, but she said it made it feel better!

Lynn Donovan said...

10 consecutive weeks..... I am laughing so hard my husband is yelling down the hall... What is so funny. You and Sanjaya must meet. I am so there if it happens. Let me know. :)