Thursday, May 10, 2007

Another Thought Provoking Chapter In:



After sleeping more than around the clock last night as a result of the big allergic reaction, I hope I am verbally more "put-together" today than yesterday. Thank you for your prayers and well-wishes. It meant so much to me. Please visit Lisa to read her teaching and the background scripture; then these answers will make even more sense.

1. Have you ever found yourself 'in faith' yet bewildered or demoralized?

Yes, when I first dealt with depression about 10 years ago, I was confused about what was happening to me and even wondered if I were truly a child of God. I never had trouble believing that God exists or never doubted all that I had learned about his character, but I had trouble believing that his child could think and do the things I did.

2. Do you consider yourself content? Would you describe it as Decidedly Content or Dreamily Content?

At this point in my life, I am decidedly content in most areas. I had to come to terms with myself in several areas and set my face toward what I knew was right and good for body, mind, spirit and relationships. The only time I feel dreamily content now is when I look at pictures of the kids when they were little.

3. If you are not content, are there circumstances that keep you from this feeling?

I wrote about publishing last time, and this is the one area that I feel stirred to do something--I just don't know what or if it's what God wants me to do. I am "stirred" but stuck!

4. Have you ever found yourself in a place where you looked back on a period of your Christian walk and believed a great opportunity passed you by?

I wish I had walked with the Lord more closely and sincerely in high school. I wish I had pointed others toward Christ. I was wishy-washy, but if you had asked me if I was at that time, I would've denied it. Since I've worked with our youth ministry, I've met several high schoolers who have blown me away with their dynamic walks with Christ and subsequent influence not only on peers but on teachers and adult family members, as well.

5. Do you ever believe your faith was stronger in an earlier time in your Christianity and find yourself floundering now?

No, I believe it is stronger now than ever. The one exception might be the time I was on a short term trip to Kazakhstan. There were times I was really insecure about my safety, so I relied on God for comfort and protection more while there. It's easy to feel "safe" here in the USA, but that's an illusion. Anyway, the Lord means more to me now than ever, and I feel closer to him and have a stronger faith.

6. Can you recognize that this season may be one of great preparation instead of a period of "I Was"?

Even though I'm middle aged (44) I would like to believe that!

8 comments:

Melanie said...

I wish I had walked closer to Him in my teen years, too. The one thing I have found time and time again is that it has taught me to forgive and understand how and why people "fall." I don't want to call it tolerance, but compassion. Because of that, sometimes people open up to me more and share their trials. Through those relationships, I can share my faith and His Love and Forgiveness.

Susanne said...

These were very thought provoking questions. The contentment ones are definitely ones I will be thinking on.

The Preacher's Wife said...

I love how you said that safety is an illusion...I've said to my family often that we are safer in the deepest Congolian jungle in God's will than I am in my own house in the U.S. out of it. Now that is easier to say than do, but it is true nonetheless!!

I am just catching up my reading about your allergic reaction..Holy Cow! I am sososo glad you are okay!! God had his hand on you girl!!

Cyndee said...

Linda-I feel the same way about my time in high school. I was a new believer then, but still so seeped into the high school "culture". I made some poor choices as a result. Thanks for tuning in - I just posted today so come by and check it out!

Connie Barris said...

I have very recently been through a time of depressions... where I sat in the physician office.. actually the waiting room and just cried... I know people around me just thought, Dear Lord...

I use to believe it was a sign of weakness... but now I praise God for that time in my life...It has made me a different person... and I am thankful...

I think you are so right on about some of the teens and how passionate their are about Jesus.. I wished I had had that...but then again, maybe I wouldn't trade my journey..

thanks for sharing your life
Connie

Nise' said...

Glad that you are feeling better! Enjoyed your answers to this week's questions. Love what you said about setting out toward what is right and good for the body, mind, spirit and relationships! Thanks for sharing.

Jen said...

I have suffered from depression too over the years. Medication nows keeps me on a even level. And of course God too
Are you on meds?
a hug from a fellow recovering sufferer

MiPa said...

Glad you are feeling better. I really enjoyed your answers today. I, too, look at some teens today that are so strong in their walk and wonder if mine could have been different. I had a strong walk as a teen--largely due to good friends around me--but I guess it can always be better. And I totally understand your statement about "safe" at home. Having traveled a lot, I am more aware of my need for God's protection in some places than others, but it is all an allusion. I always need His protection! Blessings on your day!