Saturday, May 12, 2007

A Clark Griswold's Wife's Mother's Day


Stuff that happened to me this week:

Had allergic reaction to shots, thus requiring even more shots to combat the previous shots. Now they are going to prescribe an "EpiPen" for me, which is a portable "zing" of Epinephrin (adrenalin) in case this happens again. I can only hope it comes in fashionable colors and sits comfortably in one's hand as one stabs one's self with it.

Made a trip to the other side of town to pluck my mom's eyebrows for her as a Mother's Day bonus. My car died there. It's still there. We can't figure out what's wrong.

Made a trip to the countryside today to pick up third child from a sleepover. On the way there, I heard a "pop" and could not figure out what it was, but then I realized that my window was slowly sliding down as I drove. I couldn't get it back up, so I drove past dozens of fields being mowed, thereby ingesting enough pollen through the open window to merit eleventy-seven EpiPens.

At the sleepover house, I pulled into the driveway and promptly got a flat tire.

Called Husband, who has his cell phone on him 364 days a year 24/7. Today was day 365, the "no-cell, not available" day for him, as he was working on a Habitat for Humanity house and didn't want to keep it on him, lest it "break."

"Break" was what I did--break down. Then I called Daughter #1 to come and get us. For some reason, she has been our rescuer this week, first the 911 drive back to the allergist during the reaction, then the flat tire rescue. We have told her we're thankful she was here for us. Wonder why she's not so happy to be living here this summer? What 20 year-old wouldn't be happy to have all these zany misadventures with her parents?

When we stopped in our driveway, I stepped out onto a decorative flower bed rock and fell on my hip and arm.

Then I did a really childish thing out of frustration. I knocked my purse as hard as I could, which sent it flying under our hedge, spilling the contents everywhere into dirt and leaves and cobwebs. So now when I do the purse contents meme, I'll probably have evergreen leaves in it.

I have spent the rest of the entire day cooking for a Mother's Day barbecue at my brother's tomorrow, and my feet are killing me. So this is a holiday weekend? How can I be a mother and yet not have this holiday apply to me? I don't know; it just feels like a Clark Griswold Mother's Day to me.

15 comments:

Roxanne said...

You know, I've not had all of that happen to me this week, but I feel as though I have. I hope your mother's day turns out better and includes a nap of some sort that is not allergy induced. :)

Miss you--I need to catch up on everyone's blog as well as my own.

Connie Barris said...

POOR THING....

you need a calgon night...

I hope you get pampered...

Happy Mother's Day

~~ Lily ~~ said...

Ohhhh, I feel so horrible for you, Linda. But the way you write had me alternately between chuckling and saying a pitying, "ooooh."

Sending big hugs to you, and let's hope your family recognizes your very rough week and pampers your weary self like crazy.

Susanne said...

Sending a big {{{Hug}}} your way. Wow, that's as much as one girl can handle before they finally throw their purse. Hope you get totally spoiled tomorrow and don't have to lift a finger.

The Preacher's Wife said...

I hope your tomorrow is filled with indulgences..

Cause, your week really stunk it up big time! I think I feel better about mine now! :(

Happy Mother's Day!

Rhonda said...

WOW!! What a week! My goodness!! You really have a way of making the rest of us feel really good about our own weeks. I think I would have thrown more than my purse. (I threw a jar of peanut butter once, a very long time ago - not proud of that one.)

I hope that you are doubly blessed to make up for it and have nothing but superb things to rave about next week.

Jen said...

Happy Mothers Day
Bless you for plucking your mom's eyebrows. Sori about all the problems youve been having with your cars.

Bless your hubby for working on a Habitat for Humanity house.

Amy said...

Oh you poor girl! I've had days like that and think~How much more God? And then I realize I shouldn't have asked that because He answers me and shows me how much more I can take!

Hope this week is a little more calm!

Connie Barris said...

Linda Loo.... you have been tagged.....

come and visit

Connie

Mindy said...

You poor thing........when it rains it pours, huh?
I hope that the actual Mother's day was better than saturday!!!
In HIM -
Mindy

Laura said...

I was thinking to myself "You poor thing," but then I noticed as I was about to write it that Mindy (one up) wrote the same thing. We both mean it. What a litany of not-fun-things happenings. Way to go being able to laugh about it here, even if it was NOT. FUNNY. AT. ALL. at the time. :)

The Preacher's Wife said...

Just checking in with you..Hoping your Mother's Day went much better than your pictures predicted..:))

cajunquilter said...

oh you poor sweet thing. just wait though usually when I have days like this God follows it with a big God hug of some kind. Praying yours comes soon.

Gretchen said...

Wow...I can't even think of a thing to type. Just. Wow. How about this...Jewels in your crown. :) Does that work? Happy Belated Mother's day, and I love the grad pic of you and your son! You all are gorgeous in Indiana. Blessings on the big to-do. I was born in Iowa, so even though I live in Seattle, I'll probably do a major thingy when my kids commence, as well. :)

Carol said...

No! This did not happen to you. Okay, it did. But it honestly sounds more like something that would happen to me. Uh...if I ever leave the house again, I mean. After reading this, I'm not so sure I want to.

Did you get a lot of nice Mom's Day love anyway?