Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Interesting Day--Or, Eternity is Only One Heartbeat and One Breath Away

This is not me in the picture, but this is a snapshot of a portion of my life every week. When I left work today, I decided to stop off and get my weekly allergy shots before going directly home. Everything was normal during the waiting period in the office after the shots, but I had only been home about 10 minutes before I began to feel strange, so I called the office to ask if my symptoms, not usual allergic ones, could be linked to the shots. Before I could talk very long to the nurse, I knew something bad was happening. They wanted me to come back in and even offered to come and get me, as reactions can be serious.

Luckily, my daughter is home from college, and she took me back, which is a very short drive. Right before we left the house I remember being on the floor putting flip flops on, but that's all. Riding there, I was semi-conscious.

Sidetrack background info as only we ladies can provide during our stories: Back in college, I took four years of shots at the university to save money, and one time they overdosed me, which caused anaphylactic shock, and thus caused a very, very bad scene, one that scared me so badly I'll never forget it. I always say that when I die, I never want it to be by drowning because when I couldn't breathe in that office, it was the worst feeling in the world. You have time to think about what's happening and be scared to death.

So I was very scared today. Anyway, when we got there, they shot me with adrenalin and a pain reliever and did some other things I don't remember. We stayed a long while, then Husband took me home, where I promptly fell asleep from the anti-cramping medicine. And so here I am, a little dazed. I just re-read everything I've written and had to go back to several sentences to make them lucid, so if I didn't make sense anywhere in this post, I plead "drugs."

All that to say, you just don't know what your day holds, do you? I'm reminded of my pastor who occasionally says, "Eternity is one heartbeat away." I wish I could tell you that on the way there, when the thought crossed my mind that I could possibly die because people do from asthma and allergy attacks every day, that I was not afraid. Not so. I was scared and sad. I didn't want to die while poor Daughter was driving me, knowing a lifetime of unpleasant memories would sadden her.

By faith in Christ's identity and because of what he has done for me on the cross, I know where I will be the second after my heart beats the last time. I will not pretend that I'm anxious to die, but I am looking forward to my true home when the time comes, and I know that God will take care of all the loose ends and loved ones back here.

I am still weak and jittery today, so tomorrow I hope to get caught up on posting The 7 Random Things tag, the Purse Contents tag, and the "I Am So You Don't Have to Be" study. I also hope to get around to you and comment.

In the meantime, I'm hoping this reaction is not a punishment for being so mean about American Idol because the results show is on tonight! Ha. I could be covered in boils tomorrow! Just kidding. Have a great evening--make sure you tear yourself away from the computer tonight to spend some extra time with your family. You can bet I will.

18 comments:

Melanie said...

Oh my gosh. I am so glad you are OK. What an awesome testimony this post is that we do not have to fear death, but should actually look forward to that "blessed hope." AMEN. I am not afraid either, just sad for what it would do to my family.
Take care of yourself.

Julie said...

Hi Linda,
WOW, what a scare you've had. I'm so glad you're okay, considering how things might have ended.

Several months ago I was tested for allergies, and had 78 shots (actual injections) in one sitting. I felt out of it for days.

Did they figure out what happened? Perhaps you should knock off the shots for a while??

Tammy said...

Oh...Linda! How terrifying...and yes, it is true that even though we love the Lord and know where we are going, it's human nature to be scared during these times!
I am so glad you're OK! (((HUGS)))

Susanne said...

I just went from my heart in my throat to such relief I almost started to cry. I'm so glad you are okay. That is a scary thing. Praying you have a good restful night!

Did they say what caused it all?

Nise' said...

I am so glad that you are doing okay, how scary. Is daughter okay? Get some rest!

Barbara H. said...

How frightening that was for all of you! I am glad you're ok -- get some rest!!

I know what you mean -- I know everything will be all right when it comes time to die because I know that because I received Christ, He forgave my sin and will take me to heaven. But I am not looking forward to the time of transition!! Someone once said we'll have dying grace when it comes time to die, but not before -- which I guess is why I feel antsy thinking about it now. I'm trusting for His grace when the time comes, but I hope it is not any time soon.

But who knows -- maybe on the other side we'll wish we had gotten there sooner.

Sharon @ Little Lessons said...

I'm so glad you are ok!

The strange thing is..earlier this week I was thinking about all my 'friends' in blog-land and I had this wierd thought that if any thing 'happened' to any of my friends, we would never know...or if something happened to me, my blog-friends would never know.

Glad you didn't prove that theory out for me! :-)

Mindy said...

WOW Linda - how scarey. I know that fear feeling isn't a good one. God bless you and may you get a good nights rest!!!!!
When I get scared this is the bible verse I have learned that I quote (I am working on learning more) -
Isaiah 12:2 "Surely the Lord is my salvation, I will trust and not be afraid. The Lord, the Lord is my strength and my song. He has become my salvation!"
Hope it helps!
Oh - and thanks for the encouragement!!!!
In HIM -
Mindy

Love Bears All Things said...

Hey, been there and done that and it ain't fun. Just glad it all turned out okay for you. We never know what tomorrow holds.
Mama Bear

JennaG said...

That must have been very scary--I'm so sorry that happened. Praying that it never does again. I'm so glad you are all right.

Gretchen said...

So glad you are okay today! Take it easy, and thank you for the reminder that all we have is each moment in front of us. Blessings.

Deena said...

Girl, I'm just glad your ok!!!
Father, wrap Your loving arms around Linda. Give her rest, and peace, and thank You for not wanting her back home just yet:-) We love her, she is Your creation, and we think You did a marvelous job...bless her mightily, Lord, as only You can do.
In Jesus' name, amen....

Jen said...

Thank our sweet Lord that youre ok
you take it easy today ok
my thoughts and prayers are with you

Sandy said...

What a scary experience!
I'm glad you are okay!!

Amy said...

Praising God that you are okay! I will pray that this doesn't happen again. Take it easy for a day or two and we'll be back as soon as you are up to it!

Rhonda said...

Wow!!! What an experience! I'm so glad that you are fine - better than fine - you're still here!!! Those types of incidents really make you stop and re-evaluate, don't they? Take some time to relax and recouperate. And we will take your advice and give our family some extra hugs.

Southern Girl said...

Oh, Linda, that was scary just reading about the experience! I can only imagine how it must have felt being on the other end of it. Bless your heart. I'm so relieved you were able to get to help and have recovered.

Heth said...

Chiming in a little late to say...YIKES! That's crazy! What a great reminder to us all though, you are right, we never know what the day will bring. I'm glad everything is ok. (I'm a week behind on reading blogs....sorry!)