Tuesday, May 08, 2007

May Day Weight Loss Challenge

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at PhotobucketIt’s Tuesday, May 8th, and I’m kicking off my May Day Weight Loss Challenge hosted by Tales from the Scales (Finding that Skinny Girl One Pound at a Time). Here are the instructions from the site:

On Tuesday, May 8th, you post on your blog:

How much weight you want to lose: 16 lbs.

Your weight history: After I had three children, I joined Weight Watchers and lost 35 lbs. I exercised regularly and was meticulous about following my plan. I lived by the WW unofficial motto: “Nothing tastes as good as being thin feels.” I cannot tell you how good it felt to be below my target weight for several years. Coincidentally, because of concurrent depression, it was also one of the most unhappy times in my life. Ironically, I’m overweight again, but I’m pretty happy in life. Now if I could just get the two (weight and life) to jibe, that would be great. By the way, I proudly claim that as a WW leader, it was I who originated the phrase, “When you say ‘Supersize my fries!’ you might as well say, ‘Supersize my thighs!’” Seriously!

What other goals you have for this challenge (creating activity, cutting out soda, etc.) and any weaknesses you have:

I hope to continue walking/running. I will not completely eliminate but will drastically cut back on: Peanut M & Ms, cookies of all kinds, Reese Cups, Hershey Kisses, smoothies, ice cream, cake, brownies, highly caloric salad dressings, and Flaming Cheetos. And that’s just breakfast! (Ha.) Weaknesses would, not-so-surprisingly, be the list preceding this. Other weaknesses include but are not limited to: over-eating when I’m happy or celebrating, overeating in a group and during weekends. I also get discouraged easily on the scale. Another weakness is verbally flogging myself when I eat badly. Routine: Eat too much, get on scale, flog myself, diet for one day, begin eating poorly again for various excuses, get on scale, flog myself . . . .

Report your loss/gain for that week on Tuesday.

I think I’d like to try this. How about you? It would give us a lot to share about, wouldn’t it? And we could encourage each other through the inevitable plateaus. Even if we don’t lose tons of weight, it might keep us from gaining more. Anyway, I’m diving in. But I’m not holding my breath. That would make my cheeks chubbier and my tummy look bigger!

11 comments:

Barbara H. said...

I should do this. I am going through Dr. Phil's book and getting in gear mentally, but haven't gotten to the actual food-related parts yet.

Southern Girl said...

Good for you, Linda! I'm in on this Challenge, too -- we can boost each other. ;)

Connie Barris said...

I started the WW one week ago tomorrow...

yesterday I tried a boca sausage... someone asked me what it tasted like, I said something like earth worms...

Last night, I dreamed there were giant earthworms coming after me...

Let's mark that off the list of things to eat....

But I am still feeling good about thinking skinny....

Linda, got words of encouragement?

Connie

oh amanda said...

Way to go! You can do it. Even without the flaming cheetos!

Susanne said...

Way to go! Good for you for jumping in. You sound a lot like me in your eating habits. Another thing we have in common. I thought Flaming Cheetos was a breakfast food. Who knew?

BTW, I tagged you with a meme today.

Sandy said...

You actually make it sound fun! With your funny writing ...
Good luck and GO GIRL!
(not sure I could completely give up the choco!)
Sandy :)

Barbara H. said...

OK, I am taking the plunge. I have been pondering starting a separate weight loss blog and decided to do it with the start of this challenge. It's at I Corinthians 10:31.

Amy said...

This is a great challenge whether we have 10 or 100 pounds to lose! We can encourage one another daily!

On the mini marathon post~Congrats! I am from Crawfordsville and was watching the entire time. You Go Girl!

Susan said...

Oh I need to jump into this. I just haven't done it yet.

:-) Susan

Nise' said...

A regular size package of peanut M&Ms (my favorite too by the way) is 6 points, that's a breakfast or lunch. I keep reminding myself of that and leave them alone. Now the cookies, that's a different story! LOL. I need something that comes down and smacks my hand when I lift the lid! Anyhoo, I'm in too!

JennaG said...

I'm in on this one too. I'm a little nervous about it though--don't want to fail! I know you can do it!