Monday, May 21, 2007

The Punch that Saved the World.

Here is the recipe for the slush punch I made for my son's reception. It looks a lot like these pictures. What I like about it is that it is easily transportable, and you can make it and freeze it up to a week ahead. You just mix up the base, pour it into gallon Ziploc bags and freeze it.

This recipe serves 50 people, and I made three batches. I promise you that people were coming up and back up for more and telling me that other people were sending them to the table specifically for the punch. (I have never been so so successful at any endeavor in my entire life of 44 years, in spite of all my striving to please teachers and Mom and boyfriends and bosses and dental hygienists. I am finally a success in life!)

Slushy Punch

4 c. sugar
6 c. water
3 very ripe bananas
1 12-oz frozen lemonade concentrate
1 12-oz frozen orange juice concentrate
4 c. pineapple juice in carton
1 2-liter ginger ale

Mash bananas in blender. (I can't stand the taste of green bananas, so I let them get scarily ripe before using them. Green bananas take over the whole drink when you use them.)

Bring sugar and water to a boil and let boil for 5 minutes. (This seems like a lot of sugar, but it's the boiled sugar water that gives the punch its slushy-icy consistency. Trust me.) Let sugar water cool.

Add to juices and bananas and stir until blended. Freeze. You may need help pouring into Ziploc bags, but what I did was put the bag into a large empty bowl, then I ladled the juice into the bag until the bag sort of stood up on its own. Then I poured some in a little at a time. I shut the bag and stuck some dish towels around it to keep it upright and stuck it in the freezer in that same bowl with the cloths around it. The next day, the bag was solid enough to take out of that bowl and just leave in there all on its own.

Before serving, let thaw for 5-10 minutes in punch bowl. You will be able to squeeze the base right out of the Ziploc bag into the bowl. Add ginger ale and stir gently.

One of our pastor's wives gave me this recipe, and I am filled with gratitude to her for making me a success in life, if only for one shining, brief moment at the reception!

7 comments:

Melanie said...

You are like a punch fairy, cherries and all! Seriously, I am planning a Hawaiian birthday party for my daughter and I wanted to serve a fun punch and have parasol straws for the girls. They will love this.
I will also have Sprite on hand for the party poopers. :>)

Heth said...

Printing it.

Susanne said...

Yum-O! All of this combines my favorite drink flavors. I think I'd drink one batch on my own.

Amy said...

Thank you Linda! I have had the pleasure of tasting this punch before and it ROCKS! I will ask my daughter if she cares about the color. I could always add food coloring, but then everyone's teeth and lips might be blue ;o) But then again, it's a par-tay! Thank you again for posting it!

Laura said...

This sounds great. Can't print it at the moment, but will make sure to put it in my del.icio.us account ASAP.

Southern Girl said...

That punch actually sounds really good, except I'm kinda leery about those smushed bananas. What's the overwhelming taste of this punch? I mean, what stands out the most?

Jen said...

i like punches i shall have to try yours sometime