Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Spiritual Gifts and Cute Dog Contest

Yesterday at work, the entire staff, about 30 people, took a detailed spiritual gifts assessment survey. I've done a couple of these before. I knew right away what gifts I would not possess, and I was pretty sure I knew what ones would pop up, and I was right. One that did not emerge as a top gun for me is the gift of prophecy. (Wait. I knew that wouldn't be one--that just invalidated the whole thing for me.)

Anyway, I mean, really. Who predicted on night one that Tessa would win on The Bachelor? Who said, right off the bat, that Jordin and Melinda were best? Moi. Jordin was my earliest favorite, until Melinda came into her own universe, which was the polar opposite of Sanjaya's universe, which I've illustrated below:



Now someone is going to Google "spiritual gifts, prophecy," and land here. And they will roll their eyes. But it was worth it.

In other news, my son still has not done anything to jeopardize graduating Saturday; however, he just informed me that a bunch of guys want to get together tonight and burn the year's homework. I am not pleased.

Finally, Ritter's Frozen Custard, where my frustrated college student daughter is working this summer, had a cute dog contest last night in conjunction with the local oldies radio station. Funny how she neglected to tell me about the contest and I heard about it at work during the spiritual gifts assessment survey, on which we were all concentrating very intently.

So off we went last night. The contest lasted 90 minutes; the crowd was frenzied. Big, little, ugly, cute, spastic, scared ... the owners were in rare form. And the dogs were lively, too. But not as cute as Zoe.

I felt sorry for my daughter behind the window, doling out custard in tiny doggie cups with biscuits stuck in like a fancy umbrellas in fruity drinks. This is so beneath her dignity, you know?

I took these pictures early, so you can't really tell how packed that place got. The lines went on forever, and the lot was full of dogs on leashes, barking dogs, etc. It was chaos!

So did Zoe win? In a sense. I cannot say that she lost. She may have, but I literally cannot say it. She did manage to win an ink pen. But then so did a lot of other "non-first placers."




11 comments:

Heth said...

Frozen Custard? You are killing me over her. Mmmmmm.

Heth said...

That would be over "here". Proof reading is not my spiritual gift.

Melanie said...

I have done the same survey and took a class. I learned a lot.

And I hearby crown Miss Zoe as the cutest dog ever and give her a huge, virtual scoobie snack!

Susanne said...

Ah, the summer job, the one we were all too good for. You're bringing back memories. All those dogs in one place. Would have been interesting.

Sprititual gift testing always made me sad because I never had any of the gifts I wanted and had all the ones I didn't want. :v)

Amy said...

Well I know my doggie wouldn't win the contest because she is one ugly bulldog! She's the kind that you say-she's so ugly she's cute, ya know? We love her more than the kids. Ooops, did I just admit that? :o)

JennaG said...

That looks like a fun time. I love the chicken/elephant funny on your sidebar--made me laugh. Thanks for your prayers concerning my hubby's impending surgery--it looks like he will have to go through with it. Yes, we are going to THE Graceland--and we are so excited. We are shameless Elvis lovers around here--the zoo will be great fun too!

samurai said...

You didn't mention what your score was in the gift of prophecy. My beloved once scored a zero (0) in mercy! LOL

May God help you see the ways in which your gifts can be used for Hos glory more and more each day.

Connie Barris said...

is this kind of like taking my dog (welsh corgi at that) to dog obedience school, and she still doesn't mind?? yea, that is what I thought...
but great pictures Zoe...

LOL

Connie

Jen said...

great photos

Susan said...

I had zero in prophecy...and it happens every time.

Sorry I've been missing things around here. Hope all is going well.

Lynn Donovan said...

Linda,

I always smile when I visit you. Thank you.