Monday, May 28, 2007

Uncharted

Uncharted by Angela Hunt.

Susanne at Living to Tell the Story makes me read. Don't get me wrong; I like reading. I was a literature major. But life just seems so busy that I hardly have time except in the evenings, and then I get sleepy the instant I begin to read. Maybe that's because I mostly read nonfiction, spiritual growth types of books. [Insert yawn.] Maybe all I need is a lot of suspense and the occasional gag refex to kick in while I'm reading.

Anyway, Susanne reviewed this book and made me want to read it, so I did, within 48 hours of acquiring it, very unusual for me.

The back-of-the-book blurb quotes Publishers Weekly: " ... A blend of the movies Cast Away and The Big Chill, with a touch of the television series Lost, creatively thrown together with the biblical story of the beggar Lazarus and C.S. Lewis's The Great Divorce." (That's so funny because I was just thinking of whipping up a book of my own that inspires someone to invoke C.S. Lewis's name in my blurb!) [Uh, that is a joke about my less than stellar ... nevermind.]

I can't say much about the plot because I'll give away too much. But I recommend this book because the themes and images have stayed with me, causing me to reflect on my own spiritual state, especially regarding denial and deceit. Hmmm.

And then, as if to reinforce certain themes, Cast Away was on last night, and I watched it through for the first time. It has disturbed me in many of the same ways, but I also think it's one of the best movies I've ever seen as far as engaging me at deep levels.

Therefore, Uncharted pairerd with Cast Away may have done more to spark self-assessment than the most popular personal growth book out there. It provided some "Come to Jesus Moments," as they say, and for that, I am grateful.

Finally, I recounted the plot to my three teenagers and husband over dinner at Applebees, and they were listening raptly and holding eye contact as if I were sharing the secret to getting more money out of me, thereby providing further proof that you should read this book.

9 comments:

JennaG said...

I finished this book a couple weeks ago--and then passed it on to my sister. I enjoyed it because it was so different from other christian fiction--and it was thought-provoking--and so strange. I had it on my Spring Reading Thing booklist--very unique--and enjoyable.

Susanne said...

LOL! I can't believe you finished it already. I can't believe Castaway was on at the same time as you read it. You are absolutely right about Uncharted. I couldn't even write about it for a few days because stuff kept rolling around in my mind and heart about it. That book spoke to me more than a lot of non fiction ever could.

Hmmm, I thought I'd have more time to think of another book to get you more hooked on reading fiction. I'll have to think fast now. :v)

Barbara H. said...

Sounds interesting!! I'll have to add it to my list....

oh amanda said...

Such a great book. I agree, it was haunting!

Connie Barris said...

You just kill me....

I might read it just because of your description....

Lisa M said...

I too saw Susanne's review of the book and ordered it online right away. I read it within 48 hrs too. It sure makes you think. I have to admit it made me feel uneasy after reading it. I guess it was a good kind of uneasy if there is such a thing. I really enjoyed the book and am trying to get my husband to read it. I liked the section in the back that talked about relating the story to parables in the Bible. I think it would be neat to discuss the questions brought up in the back of the book.

Heth said...

Oh great. Now I'm all curious. I'll have to check it out.

Susan said...

I'll have to go pick that one up! I loved the book I just finished and reviewed on my blog, Ransomed Dreams by Amy Wallace. I have moved on to some "boring" nonfiction and plan to get back to some fun fiction here in a few days. I loved the movie Castaway and have to admit it made me think very deeply as well.

Hugs.

:-) Susan

Gretchen said...

I'm always game for a new read, so thanks for the info! Your graduate looks mighty fine! Well done, Mom!