Sunday, May 20, 2007

Wooo-Hooo! Done for Another Four Years!

It's over! Went pretty well... just a few glitches. In setting up the room in the morning, one of the first things I did was drag a table and one of its legs over my second toe and busted it good. I bled while I decorated, walking in sticky blood on my flip-flop. So now I can literally claim I have poured blood, sweat and tears into this graduation open house!

I sent my son to buy a new shirt Saturday to wear today. He bought two because he couldn't decide. I suggested one. He wore the other, of course.

I have a great punch recipe I can't wait to share with you. I mean this is a wonderful punch, a break from the sherbet in the 7-Up. It got rave reviews and we ran out of it before the event ended. However, it was a little unruly, which I'll explain another day when I share the recipe. But trust me on this; it's a good punch.

We shared this event with my son's friend and soccer teammate. We each had video presentations that we played on separate screens. My husband worked hours and hours on ours. At the last moment last night, he discovered that the sound wasn't coming through on half of our production. He stayed up until 4 am trying to fix it. No good. Anyway, it was a cute production, but it's difficult for me to watch without crying because it bounces back and forth from pictures of me rocking and singing to him to watching him pole vault perilously this year, to the awkward little 11-12 year old stage, to being baptized as a teenager. How can my little boy be all grown up?

Well, here are the explanations of the slideshow pics: The strawberries dipped in school colors are my specialty. They are my specialty because they are easy and pretty and not a lot of people have done them around here like this. It is the only clever thing I did for this event, so I'm patting myself on the back for this one.

The tiny Michael Jordan shirt on the memorabilia table is cute because my son's name is Jordan Michael, and we got him that shirt when he was a baby just for fun. I normally don't like words on shirts, but this was cute in this instance, I think.

Yes, that is a plaster cast on the table. When he was 22 months, he jumped off the sofa and broke his right tibia in a spiral break. Since then he has broken his nose three times, injured his hip and back, hurt his ankle ... you get the picture. Never sick, but always injured, it seems.

So here are the pics, and if you scroll onto a picture, I think it stops for you to look at it, and you can speed it up or slow it down, I think.

11 comments:

Melanie said...

AWESOME JOB! I am lovin those strawberries. What a great idea. My high school was also "DHS"- funny.

Barbara H. said...

The strawberries are cute! The only other time I have seen anything like that was in Family Fun magazine -- they dipped strawberries part way in melted white chocolate and then part way in blue decorating sugar so there was a red, white, and blue effect. I used it for a patriotic-themed fellowship at church once but would have never thought of doing it with school colors -- what a great idea.

Congratulations to both of you for reaching this milestone. :) I know what you mean about going back through the pictures of different ages and stages.

That shirt is so cute! And that little cast! Somehow with three boys we've escaped broke bones except for a hairline fracture on one toe.

Kelli said...

What a WONDERFUL idea!!! We don't have "Open House" here, but from the pics, it looks like a great idea.

Glad it all went well ... and now I must run and grab some berries. Those made me suddenly crave :)

Susanne said...

Everything looks wonderful, Linda! Even the tablecloths. :v) And those strawberries look really yummy. Great idea!

I know what you mean about watching the video presentation. I would have been a mess sitting through that. Sorta bittersweet for a mom!

Congratulations again to Jordan on his graduation!

Mindy said...

My daugther broke her leg in exactly the same way.....I think. I cannot remember if the tibia is below the knee or not......She didn't jump but fell off the couch and broke her leg....below the knee and it too was a spiral fracture. Her's was a hot pink cast all the way up to her thigh...
Glad to know someone else shares the memory of a two year old witha cast......
And this senior open house things is really great. How sweet!!!!

Heth said...

The strawberries look awesome! Yum! Everything turned out great, can't wait until you share the punch recipe. Yum!

Congrats to both mom and son!

Amy said...

Happy for you that it is over! I am going through the same thing this weekend. Right now I'm just taking a break from pictures. I do wish you would share that punch recipe though because I can't stand the ice cream kind and we're looking for an easy, tasty punch. I'll keep checking this week to see if you post it! And those strawberries are SO pretty. My daughter's colors are blue and white so I might have to steal your idea and do a few!

And congrats to your handsome boy!

oh amanda said...

Congrats to your son! It looked awesome to me! I'm craving those strawberries now!

Jen said...

Hope your toe heals soon
The cake is fab

Tara Sloan said...

You are the Ultra-Mom! Awesome! I just got a ton of ideas fro my girls- never can start too early!

JennaG said...

Those are the most colorful strawberries I have ever seen. I'm sure they were a hit--yummy! All the pictures and displays look wonderful.