Thursday, May 24, 2007

You're Bloomin' Crazy



My husband had his cholesterol checked at work. The bad chol. was around 160; the good was 20 something. So they're telling him he needs to raise his good cholesterol. We looked on the Internet. One of the best ways to raise the good stuff is to eat, and I'm not making this up, one half of a raw onion every day. Or, he could drink the juice one whole onion. Or, if he wanted to cure his baldness, he could put the juice on his head and sit in the sun.

He could do any one of these three. I would personally like to see him do all three because that's just how sweet I am. (We have a friendly rivalry sort of thing).

Here is the oddest part: All of the directives for raising the good stuff advise doing things he already does, or changing things that do not apply. For instance, he rides his bike almost everyday to work and home. He does not look 44. He does not have a tummy or other mid-life things going on. He's just not heavy at all. He can wear our 18 year old's clothes. He does not smoke or drink at all. He does not eat a bunch of unhealthy foods. If we go to McDonald's, he'll usually get a salad. In short, he is one of the fittest men I know. And just look at his pic in the sidebar. He is hunky.

But since fall, his good cholesterol has gone down and his bad has gone up. We just cannot figure this out. He says it wasn't a mistake; he asked them to do it again, and the results were the same. I don't know what to think.

If anyone has any advice out there, I'm listening.

11 comments:

Jen said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww eating 1/2 a raw onion
Im pleased my cholestrol is ok

Laura said...

I have NO advice. He sounds like my husband - super-healthy! What does one tweak? Agreed, that onion advice is nasty! Good luck with this.

So, on the Jeremiah passage, thanks for asking. Not too personal at all. It's mostly a wisdom/guidance passage for me. In the midst of uncertainty, I take the passage to suggest that we need to stop, pause, listen, and look for the wise path, the tried-and-true ways that our faith forebears and that scripture have pointed out to us. The scary part, even in Jeremiah, the Lord says, "But you refuse to do this!" Human nature is so constant.

Hey (sorry for the long comment), I'm having a book giveaway contest. Spread the word! :)

Big Mama said...

Some people swear that taking fish oil tabs raises their hdl (good cholesterol) and also niacin, but since I used to sell one of the cholesterol drugs, I can tell you that the majority of cholesterol is hereditary since your body produces it. As we age, it's harder to fight genetics no matter how healthy we may be.

There are a few prescription drugs he could take that would help, if he's wanting to take prescription medication.

Connie Barris said...

mighty fine breath at that...

you have been tagged dahlin'

come by..

Connie

samurai said...

I'm listening too...

I hope you guys get it figured out. :)

Susanne said...

I have no idea other than the eating oatmeal daily that was so pushed a couple years ago.

The Preacher's Wife said...

I hear that stuff is hereditary...

My FIL smokes 2 packs of camels a day and his bp and cholesterol are better than mine....go figure??

Hope you figure out a solution that does not include chronic halitosis as a side effect! :))

Deena said...

Well, it keeps him from being perfect LOL!!

Seriously, sometimes it is simply genetic...and medication is the only thing that will help. He needs to talk with his doc more...maybe do some research on WebMD...

Grafted Branch said...

I do not know, but I'd be interested to find out; my levels are bad too.

:(

Just surfing through...finally...I've seen your blog on a few rolls and am just now getting around to visit.

Linda said...

Hi Jen. I liked your answers. I didn't get around to do doing this this week.

Southern Girl said...

Well, dang, I'd have no trouble getting in that half a raw onion, especially if it was a red onion! I chop those babies up and put them on my salads, which I have every day.

I'm with whoever said it was probably genetic, and that's the sort of thing best controlled by medication. My mom's having to take something for her cholesteral now. :-/