Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Spears from the Heart (Envy) at Internet Cafe






Someone once said, “It’s a safe bet that if a pastor is ‘stuck’ on one topic in the pulpit that he himself is struggling with that issue.”

I’m not sure about that, but I eventually came to apply this theory to my life, recognizing that repetitions of certain themes are probably God’s attempt to gently shape, direct, or correct my inner man. If I still don’t pay attention, He is then usually less subtle. I prefer the subtle method!

And now, with a deep sigh, I reveal to you that lately, due to recurring pop-up instances, I apparently need to re-visit the problem of envy.

Honestly, my first self-preserving inclination is to point out to you that I am NOT super envious—not as bad as, say, that insecure, disobedient, spear-hurling King Saul, who was delirious in his jealousy of David--nay, not I! My envy is way less “sinful” than Saul’s! I’m being facetious, of course. Sin is sin, and to qualify sin is useless. Like cancer, sin manifests itself in stages, and whether it’s stage 1 or stage 4, it’s all bad. A little bit of leaven, you know . . . . To read more, click on Internet Cafe. And you know that you wanna know what I'm envious of . . . .

8 comments:

Connie Barris said...

Funny...

yes, I have heard that saying...

we all I mean all have our issues...
"Thorns" I might add...

And I have decided, they are there to keep our eyes on Jesus...

period..done.. exclamation mark...

so pray on sista

Susan said...

Hey! I went over there and read and I am "there for you"! It's so hard when you WANT something so bad for yourself to NOT be a bit envious when someone else gets that "thing" so easily. But, I suspect things didn't "just fall into a lap"...and if they do, then that's not the norm.

Recognizing envy, and dealing with it, are critical to moving forward. Thank you for that reminder today.

I nominated you for a Rockin Girl Blogger Award...come on over and get it when you can.

:-) Susan

Grace said...

This reminds me of Romans 2 where Paul says we are guilty of the things we judge others for - OUCH! I think my toes just got stepped on. LOL

Susanne said...

I think everyone of us has some area going on that we have to fully surrender. Our dreams I think are one of the hardest things to lay totally at His feet. I always think of Abraham being asked to lay down his dream of a lifetime in his son Isaac. I can't even imagine the struggle that came with that. Bless you for being open and vulnerable to share this post with us, Linda!

Cindy Swanson said...

Hey Linda...off topic (unless people are going to envy you for this! :))...I've given you an award! Check it out on my blog.

samurai said...

Praying that God will give you the strength and courage to walk through and defeat this. May it not be a 'thorn' forever. :)

Tammy said...

I was just at the cafe...and I can really relate, Linda.
Mine comes from insecurities that sometimes come to the surface in the form of envy.
Thanks for being honest and bringing to the attention what many of us deal with from time to time!

Tammy said...

PS...and yes, I envy people when they are nominated for bloggy awards...sigh...I know- this envy thing is not pretty. ;)
But congratulations- you are one that deserves recognition! :)