Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Weight Watchers




"Uh, how many points is one whole salmon--rare?"


I went back to Weight Watchers tonight. I am a lifetime member who was a meeting leader for a couple of years in the '90s. I felt excited to be back because I know there is no better way under the sun to get control of this challenge than by doing what I know works.

One reason WW works is the weekly meetings. Statistics show, and my personal observation as a leader supported the assertion, that people who attend the weekly meetings are much more successful than those who just weigh in and leave. In fact, they do 3 times as well. I don't know why it works that way, but it does. The leaders don't usually bring anything revolutionary to the discussion, and sometimes the awards feel juvenile, but somehow it works (maybe it's that accountability thing in action.)

Here are 3 of my personal challenges:

A. Seeing a portion size for what it really is (BTW, the average soft drink size in the 1980s was 12 oz, it is now 32 oz.)

B. Not cleaning my plate (I should be able to see what color my plate is between the servings sitting on it!)

C. Sweets ... mainly chocolate, which I literally crave to the point that the craving does not go away until I get some, or other sweets, but usually it's my good buddy Chocolate that I love.

So anyway, I am hopeful and excited to see what happens.

6 comments:

Susan said...

I need to do this. It's really on my list of "summer things to do"..I haven't made the time yet.

Thanks for the reminder...and you're right, portion size is HUGE (so to speak).

:-) Susan

Susanne said...

Wow, I am stunned about the average soft drink size difference. Amazing!

You go for it, Linda. I cheering you on all the way. And I hope you will be writing lots about it so that you'll inspire me some.

Cindy Swanson said...

Linda, I personally believe Weight Watchers is the best. I've joined repeatedly and faded out, but it wasn't WW's fault. I've been trying to do the plan on my own, but you're right...the meetings ar crucial. Best wishes!

Southern Girl said...

I'm a huge (though not as huge as I was before I started. hee!) WW believer. I, too, struggle with #1. Cravings for sweets, particularly chocolate, aren't my problem. I've hardly had any sweets in the last year and a half. Carbs, especially potatoes, pasta, and creamy sauces, are my downfall. You crave choclate, I crave fettucini alfredo. ;)

Gretchen said...

You go, Girl! Good for you for not wallowing in a problem, but dealing with it and choosing to move forward. Blessings!

oh amanda said...

WTG! Those are actually great tips!

I just had to comment b/c my mom is a lifetime member and just started going back to the meetings. And my dh wants to join WW, too. So, they were thinking about going together. "Yeah, my mother-in-law and I go to Weight Watchers together." I don't know that just cracks me up!