Friday, June 01, 2007

What Are Your Top 5 Songs of Summer?

What are your top 5 songs of summer? Think of the ones that bring back memories of warm evenings, vacations, special ocasions, etc., ones that signal to you, "Summer's definitely here!" One thing I've observed after compiling my top 5: I'm old. Also, I think we should eliminate Beach Boys songs, though, because they're just too easy.

Mine:

5. "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" by Tears for Fears 1985. We were married in 1985, and this song played all the time while we were on our honeymoon. I can remember a weather sign saying 110* and that song playing.

4. "Hot Fun in the Summertime" by Sly and the Family Stone 1969

3. "Brown Eyed Girl" by Van Morrison 1967

2. "Dancin' in the Moonlight" by King Harvest 1973

Oh, the awesome lyrics with the awesome tune!:

Everybody here is out of sight
They don't bark, and they don't bite
They keep things loose, they keep things light
Everybody was dancin' in the moonlight

Dancin' in the moonlight
Everybody's feelin' warm and right
It's such a fine and natural sight
Everybody's dancin' in the moonlight

We like our fun and we never fight
You can't dance and stay uptight
It's a supernatural delight
Everybody was dancin' in the moonlight

Dancin' in the moonlight
Everybody's feelin' warm and right
It's such a fine and natural sight
Everybody's dancin' in the moonlight


1. "Walking on Sunshine" by Katrina and the Waves 1985 Possibly the happiest song ever written. Having said that, why is Katrina walking around on the dullest, grayest environment possible in this 1985 video?



8 comments:

Susan said...

Hmmm...Top 5 songs of Summer:

Well, I'm old too. First of all it would be:

1. Saturday in the Park by Chicago (I remember them playing this every July 4th when I was a kid)

2. You're the One that I Want (Grease) Can't tell you how many times I went to see that movie the summer it came out!!

3. Beach Baby (don't know who sang it)...just reminds me of all the sandy Summer fun around here.

4. When the Sun goes Down (Brooks and Dunn)---just cause it's fun

5. Any Jimmy Buffett song...well...enough said!?!?!

Besides, you asked, RIGHT???

Kelli said...

Totally agree with Numero Uno! I grew up outside Malibu, and we wore that Tears for Fears tape out the summer of 85.

Tammy said...

Susan stole mine...Saturday in the Park is one I remember hearing when I was around 10 or 11 or so and just sitting back and really taking it all in....loved it!

But I also love Dancing in the Moonlight...probably just as much!

And no Beach Boys? Aw, man...your tough! Alright then...Jan and Dean! There!

Oh, the one I loved even more than Saturday in the Park was "Summer Breeze"...I can still hear that today and it just does something to me...
"Summer Breeze
Makes me feel fine
Blowing through the jasmine of my mind..."

OK, so we're both old. Born in 1963 old! :)

Linda said...

Oh, Tammy, it was 1962 for me. sigh.

I had Sat. in the park as runners up, and I had forgotten summer breeze ... yes, that's summer, all right.

Laura said...

That video is SO funny! It finally gets a little chirpier near the end when they start showing a little more color. But still!

Tammy said...

Linda...I just linked you! :)

Jen said...

you had me dancing and singing in my chair
love that song
also like Cliff Richards "We're all going on a Summer Holiday"

Gretchen said...

In no particular order...

1. Hey There Delilah (new)--The Plain White T's

2. Pina Colada song (? one hit wonder?)
"If you like pina coladas...and getting caught in the rain..."

3. Saturday in the Park--Chicago--yeah, me too!

4. Celebration (Cool and the Gang)--I know it's corny, but we all sing it!

5. We Will Rock You or We Are the Champions--Queen

Thanks for the memories. :) And...one more from my college days, "Don't Dream It's Over", by Crowded House.

oh...one more...

Summer of '69 (Bryan Adams)

Oh...last one, I promise...

Holiday (Madonna)