Monday, July 09, 2007
Connie (also known by her hippie name, "Cinnamon Candy Hearts," or just "CC") at Little Red Hearts from God has memed me with: FIVE THINGS I DIG ABOUT JESUS. First of all, I had to make up a tie-dye thingy for this meme because it sounds like someone unearthed it from 1968--which I can totally dig, man, because I'm cool like Peggy Lipton from the Mod Squad (who incidentally is the mom of the actress who plays Karen on The Office, but I digress.) And if you actually remember Peggy Lipton, my stray grays call out to yours, "Sister!"
Anyway, keep in mind, that yes, I love all of the traditional things about Jesus that you do, too, but I wanted to put a twist on this. I am not being disrespectful, but if you are from the denomination in which I grew up, which definitely does not appreciate any Jesus humor whatsoever, you may possibly be (will surely be) offended. In fact, it is against my former denomination's manual to smile except on the Sabbath, and even then it is written (in the manual) "Thou shalt not bear naked teeth unto the opposite gender, only yielding a mild upturn of the lips as a last resort to communicate that thou art not actually in some sort of pain." Just kidding. Sort of.
So as I was saying, I can totally dig this meme, too, man. This is for you, CC, Baby.
What I dig about Jesus:
1. One word: Sandals. In the Middle East, which equals dirty feet, which equals humanity, which equals humility, which equals a state of being that no other god has ever aspired (or in His case, consdescended) to: humility and servanthood.
2. He "tells it like it is." Yeah, He may have used some parables, but He got his point across. "Dude: get the log out of your eye ...." etc.
3. He is Love. 1 John 4:16b: God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.
4. Peace. John 14:27: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. He wants to put His courage into us, His peace. My favorite title of His is "Prince of Peace."
5. Faithfulness. Perfection. Holiness. Who is like Him? NO ONE! Isaiah 44:6-7: "This is what the LORD says—
Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty:
I am the first and I am the last;
apart from me there is no God.
7 Who then is like me?
No One ...