Monday, July 09, 2007


Connie (also known by her hippie name, "Cinnamon Candy Hearts," or just "CC") at Little Red Hearts from God has memed me with: FIVE THINGS I DIG ABOUT JESUS. First of all, I had to make up a tie-dye thingy for this meme because it sounds like someone unearthed it from 1968--which I can totally dig, man, because I'm cool like Peggy Lipton from the Mod Squad (who incidentally is the mom of the actress who plays Karen on The Office, but I digress.) And if you actually remember Peggy Lipton, my stray grays call out to yours, "Sister!"

Anyway, keep in mind, that yes, I love all of the traditional things about Jesus that you do, too, but I wanted to put a twist on this. I am not being disrespectful, but if you are from the denomination in which I grew up, which definitely does not appreciate any Jesus humor whatsoever, you may possibly be (will surely be) offended. In fact, it is against my former denomination's manual to smile except on the Sabbath, and even then it is written (in the manual) "Thou shalt not bear naked teeth unto the opposite gender, only yielding a mild upturn of the lips as a last resort to communicate that thou art not actually in some sort of pain." Just kidding. Sort of.

So as I was saying, I can totally dig this meme, too, man. This is for you, CC, Baby.

What I dig about Jesus:

1. One word: Sandals. In the Middle East, which equals dirty feet, which equals humanity, which equals humility, which equals a state of being that no other god has ever aspired (or in His case, consdescended) to: humility and servanthood.

2. He "tells it like it is." Yeah, He may have used some parables, but He got his point across. "Dude: get the log out of your eye ...." etc.

3. He is Love. 1 John 4:16b: God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him.

4. Peace. John 14:27: Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid. He wants to put His courage into us, His peace. My favorite title of His is "Prince of Peace."

5. Faithfulness. Perfection. Holiness. Who is like Him? NO ONE! Isaiah 44:6-7: "This is what the LORD says—
Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty:
I am the first and I am the last;
apart from me there is no God.
7 Who then is like me?


No One ...

8 comments:

Connie Barris said...

You my dear... ROCK... I loved the Mod Squad... I was plastered in front of the TV.. not literally but as much as a young child could be.. waiting for that show to come on... and my hair, looked just like Ms Peggy's.... and I had white go go boots.. so I really was cool , in a young girls mind...

anyway, your answers... well, you did go with the so "dig" me baby image... you are just the most creative thing....too cool...
peace out... whatever I'm suppose to say... and be cool like you.. ummm, I guess it isn't working...

BTW, Karen Kingsbury,,, you can read her 911 books, there are two, or her Redemption series.. or any of her stand alone, the are all good...I finished all the Redemption series, the First born and now I'm on the Sunrise Series.... it's addicting...

Gretchen said...

Duuuuude! Cool answers. And...re: the sense of humor--if Heaven doesn't have folks with a sense of humor, I'm not sure they'll take me. :) I just see that as another one of God's many gifts. (((hugs)))

Melanie said...

#2- Reminds me of "whoever is free of sin, cast the first stone" And he wrote something in the sand and folks started leaving.

msdebbiea said...

Hello Linda, and hubby too! It's me. . .ms debbie a, the one who was star-struck when I saw you grocery shopping at Wal-Mart! I don't think you will remember me, however hubby coached my son in soccer at the Y downtown, many, many years ago when our boys were just little ones. Linda, you are one gifted writer, and I think it's awesome that you share your gift as you do--what an inspiration you are to others. . .maybe I'll get lucky and get to meet you one day soon! :) Debbie A.

Linda said...

On Debbie! I know who you are! You are the mom of a beautiful little blond, quiet boy, who shall remain nameless here. But I know he's no longer little--how old is he now? About 18? Do you still go to UC? I don't remember my husband coaching, but I'm sure he probably did. And I did indeed see you at Walmart--I said hello, right?? I'm so glad you commented and am touched at how kind you are about my writing, esp. since most of it is nonsense! Please come back often1

Shelly said...

Dude. Get the log out of your eye! lol...

I love it. And I'll amen that no one is like Him. Oh praise Him!

Susanne said...

Cool meme, cool answers. And there is no one like our God!

Tammy said...

You had me worried for a micro-second, but I loved this post!

And oh yeah...since we were born the same year (well, I was born one year later, but who's counting...)I totally remember Mod Squad, baby. SISTER!!!