Thursday, July 19, 2007

When Depression Threatens, Don't Forget Your Slingshot




Here is a snippet from my post at Internet Cafe Today:

About 12 years ago, I experienced my first bout of extended depression, not just a week or two of the blues, but the real deal--a suffocating, absolutely relentless depression. It made me feel like one of those caged cats in the zoo who paces back and forth day after day after day behind steel bars, unhappily separated from his former life and former self--or perhaps who spends the day sleeping, seizing his only respite from his misery ... I'd like to offer a few tools, simple as they are, that I use to help batten down the hatches when the winds of depression kick up in my life. Maybe they will be relevant to you or a friend.

The first/best line of defense against any threat is prayer and reading God's Word, of course. But since we eventually have to close the Bible or stop praying actual words for periods of time, I think it's wise to have some small practical weapons in our arsenal with which to fight these battles. Sometimes it only takes a few stones in a slingshot to bring down an enemy of the Lord!

8 comments:

Kim said...

Thank you for this daily dose of wisdom and inspiration Linda. I'm a lurking reader, from ECI, and can always count on coming here for some great words, lots of fun and laughs and crazy stories of working in youth ministry. I'm sure we would probably know some mutual people. :) Anyway, this came at a very appropriate time for me to share with my sister, and I thank you.

Shelly said...

I really enjoyed reading this article Linda. Especially your 'tool' about being able to share with a friend how you feel, and then not dwelling on it so that it doesn't again become too big in your mind. Powerful lesson right there! And praising Him for the overcomer that you are!

Susanne said...

Thank you Linda for being vulnerable and sharing this post. These are great tools to have ready to go when the battle comes. And it can be applied to other battles as well.

samurai said...

A few stones, and one Guiding Hand. :)

I have never experienced the kind of depression you mention here... but I've had my times.

Good post...

ybiC

Tammy said...

Linda, I went over and read the whole thing...wow, I found this to be so edifying and filled with wisdom. I have also battled with depression\anxiety off and on through out my life, and this week I had my moments. Thank you for sharing this and being open, because not only did it encourage me, but probably many others!
(((HUGS)))

Cindy Swanson said...

Hi Linda...this is off topic, but I couldn't find an e-mail address for you.

I do think you'd love "Lost," but I have to warn you about the first episode. I know you don't like violence, and there is a fairly violent plane crash that starts the whole thing off. My mom is pretty sensitive to stuff like that as well, and the plane crash and some of the aftermath of the crash were a little hard for her to watch. It's not unbearable, though, and the crash scene and aftermath do set the stage for many things that come after...so you kinda need to see it. There's very little blood and gore, but seeing a plane crash just isn't fun.

Other than that...I do think the storytelling, the mystery, and the characters that you come to care about so much, make "Lost" one of the very best shows on TV.

Grace said...

Thanks - this post was for me today.

sammie said...

Great post Linda. I run into so many women that struggle with this and I just do not know what to say. I use scripture in my everyday existence but feel to often that for deep depression its not enough.