Thursday, August 30, 2007

He's a Raven!

Thank you, all of you who commented so compassionately about launching my son off to college. Well, he's in! This is hard business, Moms, let me tell you. This is 100 times harder than the first day of kindergarten, and I thought that was bad! I am exhausted, but I have so much I'd like to share about this experience. I'll probably write more another time.


I will say that only a mom can understand what it means to see the little one who was always underfoot walk around a college campus adjusting to his new "home." Jordan has always had the same walk, the same way of carrying himself; we can spot him a mile away. I watched him smile and talk with strangers tonight, and only his dad and I knew how truly uncomfortable he was. He would rather be about anywhere else, and I know he feels lonely, but he is being very adult about the whole deal and knows this is a good thing. I don't feel so much like an adult; I feel like a cry-baby.

Nevertheless, I am very proud of our new "Raven." And, it was really a blessing to hear the President encourage the freshmen in the Lord and know that when my son went back to his room tonight, there would be no school-sponsored condom bingo for freshmen in his dorm. I am not making that up; that's what the state school in our city did for freshmen two years ago.

So, he's in a strange place sharing a stuffy room with a stranger, but I know he is in God's hands, and that God knows him more intimately than his parents do. In fact, He can spot him a mile away, too, and knows the very number of the hairs on his head and the entire span of his days--so I know that Jordan is not really alone and that Someone who loves him even more than I do is watching over him. And that is how I will be able to fall asleep tonight.

12 comments:

Susanne said...

I love your last paragraph, Linda! That's what it's all about.

All God's best to Jordan in his first year of college!

Kelli said...

Ahhhh. we're just heading into out first year of HS with the oldest. Sniff.

I'm so not ready for this.

That was a beautiful post, Linda. I know you're just darn proud of him :)

Lois E. Lane said...

One of my fondest family memories of all time was my parents and little sister driving me up to college. I would be living 7 hours away from home and did not know what to do with myself. My dorm felt weird and my roommate was a stranger. I'll never forget coming back from an orientation meeting that hot afternoon -- I found my family sitting in that stuffy dorm room. They had gone shopping and bought me a plastic book shelf, which they'd assembled next my to my "closet," and lined each level with my trinkets from home. They had even arranged some books and school supplies in on my desk. I cannot describe the amount of comfort that moment brought me. I have no doubt your son felt just as special!

samurai said...

I would like to say, 'well done'... you have done an admirable job preparing your son for the world.

May your little 'arrow' be an impact for those around him for the Kingdom.

Jen said...

God be with you both

Susan said...

Crying as I read it...thinking ahead one year to our little one heading off to college. He's already not so little anymore at 6 feet and 230 pounds. Thankfully, God gives us the Grace we need at the time we need it. Sleep tight mom AND Jordan.

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

My daughter (a junior) called today about her job.. and I said, "Well, you know you can do whatever you like" and she said, "But mom, what you think matters."

so they are not far from us.. not matter how far...

you still have your baby...babies

Roxanne said...

Oh, Mom. . .my heart aches for you, but YOUR heart is in the right place. God and his Spirit are comforting you--recalling to mind scriptures that will bridge the gap between you and your boy tonight. Love you.

Susan said...

Oh I am so there for you. I don't know what I'm going to do in Oct. when DS 1 leaves for boot camp. Praying for all of you, my friend.

:-) Susan

Gretchen said...

Well said, Linda. He does love them even more that we could. Isn't that amazing? Be kind to yourself as you settle in to having this one in school. Maybe treat yourself to a "3rd Cup of Coffee". ;)

Sharon said...

Hi Linda,

I love your blog! There are not many Blogs out there that I have found that talk about how hard it is for our kids to grow up and leave even though we know this is God's plan for them and for us. I invite you to come over and visit my blog at Roseofsharonmay.blogspot.com and you can meet my family. I have four sons, my oldest son is 23 and getting ready to move out in two weeks! My second son who is 21 is also moving out at the same time. I also have a 16 year old and a 14 year old at home.

Take care and I'll say a prayer for you that you will not have momemnts of sadness, but rejoice in your wonderful son's success!

Take care, Sharon

Laura said...

So glad that our Lord is close to you all. You are ALL getting one big fat "opportunity to grow." SO HARD!!! So good!