Sunday, September 16, 2007







A few months ago, a co-worker who is about my age asked me if I had a Facebook account. I did not. At that time, I thought Facebook was something only college students could access, as if the universities somehow ran the thing. She said, "I'm on Facebook; you should get on, too, and then we can be friends." (And here I was thinking we were already BFFs.)

I said, "I don't think I want one because Katie (college daughter) has one, and well, I would be tempted to look at her page, which would be a bad idea, because I'm almost afraid of what I'll find there."

"That's the whole point," she said.

I still wasn't sure, but I signed up so I could be friends with my friend, in no uncertain terms. Next thing you know, we'll be pricking our fingers and mixing our blood.

Facebook is a little like blogging but less wordy. There are all sorts of applications and funky things you can do. You can compare lists (favorite music) or just briefly update what your status is, e.g.: "Linda is posting on her blog right now." You can leave messages or draw on each other's walls. You can see what your friends have written on each others' walls. You can send little icon gifts to people for no reason or maybe a cake for their birthday. You can participate in a "food fight." You can post albums of pictures and comment on others' pictures. You can join groups such as "Colts Fans."

Anyway, I didn't understand that someone has to agree to be your friend before you can see what they've posted. My daughter informed me that she had nothing to hide and, thus, I am now my daughter's friend. By the way, I have never invited anyone to be my friend; I'm afraid I'll feel too embarrassed if they turn me down. It would be different if I were their age, but I'm not, so it's just too risky for my ego.

--Just so you know, if your kid and your kid's friends are happy to let you see their pages, it just probably means they're really venting and being transparent in some other venue that you cannot see (like My Space). Oh well.

Still, I think you must possess some amount of coolness to be asked to be a Facebook friend. I deserately want you to know that I must have that certain "je ne sais quoi" of coolness because I now have 39 friends, all but two or so under age 25. So basically, I am now more popular with high school kids than I was when I was in high school. Guess I'm a late bloomer.

6 comments:

Susanne said...

You are way too cool. I've only been asked to be a friend of 2 people and both of those were in the age group above 35. But it's all too confusing for this 'ole Mama.

amy said...

I got an account at Facebook but didnt do anything with it. Im finding all kinds of all friends from both high school and college though and thats cool!

Deena said...

I'm on Facebook too, but I don't go there very often.

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

I'm still not there yet.. too afraid of rejection.. sad face...

Heth said...

Just joined facebook myself! I'll be your friend, and I'm over 25!

Zim said...

Linda, you have no idea how cool you are! When I saw you were on Facebook, I was stoked to add you as a friend!! :)