Monday, September 10, 2007

My September 11


It was a dark and stormy night ... the youthful, anxious couple hastened to the hospital to endure the longest, most treacherous night of their lives, when in the hush of the first-light hours, they reaped the rewards of their HER labor ...


It's a Girl!!!



Wait a minute ... The story started before that night. It was September 1986, a beautiful new autumn. Growing, changing, decorating the nursery, attending baby showers, wearing hugely tall hair and ginormous plastic glasses frames, reading, preparing, but most of all waiting ... waiting ... waiting ... This child was THREE WEEKS overdue.







But she was well worth the wait, and really, what is waiting three more weeks when you've already waited what seemed like your whole life for that moment?

It really was a dark and stormy night September 10th when we went to the hospital. She was born about 6:00 a.m. September 11, which is, ironically now, one of the three happiest dates in my life.

She was perfect and only grew more perfect-er.

Smart as a whip, could read independently at four, precocious, strong-willed, my little brunette daughter. Ballet, spelling bees, straight A's, shy, compassionate, tempermental, outgoing in her teens, serving Christ, dramatic actress, big sister twice, first granddaughter on my side of the family, so, so funny, English major, Dean's List, my own pride and joy ... I love all my children too deeply to articulate, but this one, this child, made all my dreams come true just by being born. She is my daughter, the single sweetest word in the world.

Kaylin (Katie) ~ Thank you for making me a mom 21 years ago, although you didn't have much say in the matter! But you can take credit for making me so proud. I love you more than words can say ~ Happy Birthday!



12 comments:

Jen said...

Happy Birthday to your daughter
Hope she has a lovely day

Susan said...

Awwww...happy happy birthday to your girl. My DS 2 is 18 today. I was two weeks late and miserable waiting for him in the Florida heat...but all that melted away when I looked on his face...as you so aptly articulate here.

Blessings, Linda.

Susanne said...

Happy Birthday to Katie! Your a beautiful blessing to your family!

Beautiful birthday tribute, Linda!

Melanie said...

Happy Birthday to her! What a sweet post.

Big Mama said...

Happy Birthday! Sweet, sweet post.

Southern Girl said...

Happy birthday to your sweet Katie!! I hope you both have a special day!

Debbie said...

Happy Birthday Katie! Bless you for being the kind of daughter that makes your mom proud.
And a big pat on the back to mom for raising the kind of daughter anyone would be proud of.

samurai said...

Wow - a good thing to remember and praise God about on an anniversary such as today...

all children are a blessing from the Lord... thank you for sharing yours. :) \o/

Cindy Swanson said...

What a wonderful tribute! Aren't daughters a blessing?

Tammy said...

What a sweet post from the heart of a proud mother! Pass a Happy Birthday on to Katie! One day my baby will be twenty one... oh, and to think I am having a hard time just letting go as she turns 11 and starts the "middle school" department at church. Lord, help me! (ha!)

onceinabluemoon said...

Lovely blog Linda, I enjoyed reading all your stories, love the way you write it has depth and feeling.
I found your blog through yorkshire terrier link, glad to have joined you or a while, all the best ,
kath , Scotland UK

Amber said...

Happy Birthday Katie!!!!

My mother would probably say something similar to your post since my bday is Sept 11 too:)

God Bless,
Amber