Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Two Reasons to Love Clinton

So today when my girl got home from school, we plopped down on the sofa, and I said, "Let's watch What Not to Wear to get ready for our Clinton Kelly date this Saturday." Usually I say, "How much homework do you have tonight?" but we're T minus 3 days until Macy's, so, you know, who cares about non-fashion details. Not us.

Anyway, here is one reason I love Clinton. Today's episode featured a high school junior named Erin who was as cute as cute can be. As Stacy, Clinton and Erin watched videotape of Erin's everyday school outfits, Stacy and Clinton noted that her skirts were not exactly meeting the regulation fingertip rule dictated in the school handbook. At that point, they cut to Clinton who remarked pointedly, "Teenage girls are showing way too much skin ...."

As a mom of a teenager, let me say, "THANK YOU, MR. KELLY."

Case in point: It is homecoming at our high school this week, and that means 5 days chock-full of thematic dressing up to build spirit momentum for the big game. Today's theme was Western. I think. Or maybe it was Dalls Cowboy Cheerleader day.

As I sat in the parking lot waiting to pick up my daughter and her friend, I watched at least a dozen girls burst out of the school holding cell phones at their ears, wearing cowboy hats atop pig tails and cowboy boots with barely-there jean skirts or teeny-tiny jean shorts. I'm not kidding. I think these skirts were made of about four of those stiff sew-in patches they sell in the pattern section at Walmart. I honestly do not know how any boy or male teacher concentrated on anything else today. I don't think I'm a prude, but I was uncomfortable.

So Clinton, thank you, dude. "Stop showing so much skin" will be heard and accepted much more readily by thousands of teenaged girls because it came from you than from "just moms."

Why I love Clinton, part 2: My husband pointed this episode out to me, and then I saw it myself at a later date. No, my husband does not watch WNTW regularly, but it's usually on at some point each day. He has become a reluctant fan.

So one day Husband said to me, "You know, I have to say that Clinton Kelly was pretty cool today. He was encouraging this woman to accept herself as she is and stop comparing herself to other people because no one is perfect, not even people in movies and on TV; they are packaged and perfected for our viewing pleasure. And then, he asked her to touch his side, and said, 'Feel this? This is a roll. Of fat. No body is perfect.' I just thought that was nice of him to be that vulnerable."

I agree.

15 comments:

Susanne said...

Whoo Hoo Clinton!

Why oh, why don't schools enforce their dress codes? I read a book this past spring by Shaunti Feldham where she interviewed boys and what they thought about the clothes girls wear and let me say it was absolutely eye opening.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Clinton is right, too much skin is being shown and by younger and younger girls. One of our Altar servers at our church marched up to change wearing a pair of shorts like the skirt pictured and heels, she is just 13! She and her sister dress like that all the time. I don't understand their parents or Grandparents (who bring them to church) letting them dress like that. The attitude of many as far as a dress code for church is it doesn't matter what you wear as long as you go to church. I feel their should be dress codes for church, school etc. We didn't get to where we are in society without rules for many years in the past. It's time to speak up and push for common sense again and it should start at home.

Gretchen said...

Go Clinton! And...I can't wait to hear all about the visit "in the flesh".

Kellye said...

I am de-lurking to tell you how excited I am for you! I love WNTW. Now when I am shopping, I think "would Stacy & Clinton like this?" Please give us a detailed report of your adventure.

Katy said...

I couldn't agree with you more! Sooo true!

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the statement"stop showing so much skin". I also think as Christian women and mothers we should stop promoting the entertainment business. Turn off the TV and spend our time doing something more productive. Every time we "promote" a television show, movie or other entertainment we send dollars to the pockets of many people who do not live a Christian life style. One other interesting fact, they show a lot of skin on WNTW all the time! Are you comfortable letting your teenage boys watch that show? Would you be comfortable watching it with your Minister?

Southern Girl said...

So THIS is what I look like when I'm talking about my pretend boyfriend. ;)

I may have to check this fellow out -- anyone who calls out these little girls and their hardly there clothing choices is a keeper.

Tammy said...

I'm just catching up, Linda...wow, enjoy your Macy's date with Clinton! (OK, this is the first time I actually knew this was his name!)

With my girls being as young as they are, I think it's important that I instill the value of modesty in them now- or at least the seeds of it. But there has to be a reason for modesty...if they understand and grasp the reason for it- the biggest one in that they want to honor the Lord in everything- and secondly, they are too special to reveal "secrets" about themselves to the world...then they have a basis for wanting to adapt modesty for themselves.

Interestingly, our women's Bible study at church (with over a hundred women) is going to be about not conforming the world when the messages are so strong all around us. It's on Beth Moore's Daniel study, but I think this will be part of the focus.

Anyway, I agree that he gets kudos for declaring that statement, at least!
Have fun on Saturday!

samurai said...

I agree with both of these statements! I once heard a sermon series about Modesty from the church I was going to. I was disappointed when I eagerly shared the series in conversation to hear that most people felt that the church was trying to somehow impose itself on women (even though the series addressed us men as well).

Like one of your other repliers above - we as adult members of our local churches need to "take back" some level of common sense.

There is nothing wrong with someone dressing nice, but we need to know what is nice and what is provacative.

Linda said...

Anonymous asks: "Are you comfortable letting your teenage boys watch that show? Would you be comfortable watching it with your Minister?" Usually I don't respond to anonymous comments, but I must say, "Yes and Yes." And, not only my minister, but Jesus as well, because he's with me all the time. Have you watched the show? Do you know that almost every episode involves covering up more skin? Are you the same anonymous who didn't approve of my supporting the Dove campaign? Hmmmmm.

PJ said...

Linda, I'm with you. I love WNTW! And I'm certainly with him on the teens showing skin!! The little girls are trying so hard to be cool and sophisticated, they haven't a clue how inappropriate it is. And...I AM the minister!

PJ

Ann said...

I saw that episode too (sorry I commented on it on one of your earlier posts before reading this one). I completely agree with you on Clinton. I can't WAIT to hear how it goes on Saturday!!!!

Heth said...

I miss that show so much. Darn basic cable....

Can't wait to see how your Saturday goes!

Lois E. Lane said...

Ah, teenage girls today. Do NOT go to a waterpark -- it can all but destory your faith in humanity! Not that you should have faith in humanity, but, you get the idea. Bravo, Clinton!
P.S. Someone didn't approve of your support for the Dove campaign? Hmmmmm...

The Preacher's Wife said...

Go Clinton - Was just remarking to my hubby today about how all our teens could use a class on how not to look like hoochies...Can a PW say 'hoochies'? :))

Lisa