Tuesday, October 09, 2007

My Mom is in the Hospital

Last night (this morning?) at 2:00 AM my dad and brother took my mother to the hospital because she was in severe pain. Apparently, she has (or doesn't have) a blockage in her small intestine. (This is the problem with having a family member who blogs. She might tell the world that you have a blockage in your small intestine. But since my mom doesn't read my blog, she'll never know that you know.)

Anyway, the CAT scan showed a blockage; the plain old x-ray showed none, and tomorrow she has the dye tracking x-ray for the definitive answer.

The worst part of the whole ordeal was having the NG tube inserted. Very, very painful and traumatic for her. She is 81.

I spent the day (from about 8 AM to 9:30 PM) with her. As I left she was receiving a large dose of morphine, so I hope and pray she'll sleep well and stop worrying that her hair isn't combed, her teeth aren't brushed, the covers aren't right, her gown comes open, and the fact that she can't seem to get her chapstick around the tube coming off her nose and over her lips or her ice chips around the hose and actually into her mouth, or the fact that the tape and hose on her nose look like a "snout" (her words.)

I'm tired. So are the nurses. But God is good.

18 comments:

Gretchen said...

God's blessings on your precious mother and the rest of your family. NG tubes are the worst! (((hugs))) gretchen

Big Mama said...

I'll be praying for her Linda. And for you and the nurses. :-)

Keep us posted.

Barbara H. said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your mom and hope they can find out what is wrong quickly and alleviate it.

Sometimes it is all those "little" things that make being in the hospital miserable.

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Southern Girl said...

Linda, I'm so sorry to hear about your mom. I hope they're able to pinpoint the problem definitely and get it fixed. I know very well the pain of having an intestinal blockage...my parents took ME to the hospital in the middle of the night a few years ago because of excruciating pain in my abdomen. Resulted in emergency surgery and a week in the hospital. Despite that, I had a very easy time of it -- God was indeed very good. I'll be praying your mom has a good experience, too.

Carol said...

Bless her heart. So sorry to hear she's so uncomfortable. The chapstick thing alone would be enough to send me over the edge.

Lifting your mom up in prayer, Linda.

Melanie said...

Praying for your mom and the med. staff.

Sherri said...

You mom sounds like a character. I had to laugh because I could see myself at her age obsessing in the hospital bed over those same things...haha! I'm sure the morphine took her to a whole new place :).

Susanne said...

Praying for your mom, LInda! Many God move on her behalf and may she have God's peace & rest while this is figured out.

And also for you, Linda. Saying a prayer for you, too!

Kim said...

Praying that God will bring peace, comfort, and his assurance to your Mom, Dad, and the rest of your family!!!

Debbie said...

Continuing to pray for you and your Mom. Let me know if there is anything I can so for you.

Susan said...

Praying here. Hope you're well.

:-) Susan

Jen and family said...

Linda Im praying for your mum
for a speedy recovery

take it easy Linda
praying for you too

I ask that God holds you and your family close

jen at http://my3boysandi.wordpress.com/

KT said...

I am so sorry to hear that your mom is in the hospital. Praying for her, and you and your family, and for the doctors to figure out what's going on. Katie

FlipFlop Mom said...

Oh Praying for you and your mom... I'm sorry that this is all happening!!! Funny that no matter how sick we feel sometimes the littlest things bother us... Hugs for all!!!

Tammy said...

Oh no, Linda...I will be praying, also. Bless her heart...as you know, my mom is 80, so I can only imagine.

I'll be praying for you, too...please update us as soon as you can!

Amber said...

Praying for your mom! Stay strong!


God Bless,
Amber

Deena said...

Father God, give wisdom to the doctors and technicians treating Linda's mom. Give her favor with the nursing staff, and help her to rest in You. Bless my sister Linda with an extra measure of peace and strength, and assurance that You are there. Above all, I pray for healing.
In Jesus' name, amen.

Lynn Donovan said...

Oh Linda,

Please write me and tell me how your mother is doing. How are YOU doing. I have been praying everyday for her. Write me as soon as you can.