Friday, November 09, 2007

Apparently, there is still no solid diagnosis for Nate. They have elminated West Nile Virus now and are looking at possible autoimmune problems. Please pray that today is the day the doctors figure out exactly what's wrong. Thanks.




Last Saturday, I was sitting at the computer when my husband walked in holding up a package and said, "It's for you!"

Saturday + surprise package in the shape of a book = Happy Dance

Inside was Amy Grant's new book, "Mosaic," which I had been wanting to read since I first saw all over Bloganvilla that it was out. Friends, I entered every contest I could in order to win that book. What's up with random generators not picking me, anyway?

But there it was in my hands--and I already knew who it was from before I opened the card, my dear friend Susanne at Living to Tell the Story. She loves me! It's mutual!

So I took a break from writing my speech for the 30th (don't even ask how it's going) and opened to page one. I put it down a couple of hours later after the last page. Yep, that's what I did all right.

Yes, it's well written and sensitive and deep. It calls the reader to an attitude of gratefulness and being in the moment. But I really loved some of the backstories behind her lyrics.

Briefly, the reason I have loved her music so much is that for some reason, in every season of her career, her songs reflected what was going on in my life. (Plus I think her voice is perfect--not too deep, not too high, very natural, simple, elegant. And she just writes great songs.)

In the beginning, there was AMY and MICHAEL W, that was pretty much it for me. I didn't care for other Christian music/performers. I learned to love most contemporary Christian music through them first. I will never understand why people flogged her for "crossover" music. It's not exactly like she spewed profanities or wrote lurid lyrics. What she did was draw in people like me.

In the mid-90s, I was in a depression that lasted, sad to say, a few years. That's about the time that "Behind the Eyes" came out, and I played that CD until ... well, it was ridiculous, but it helped me cope. And now, after all the speculation, hoopla and judgment has been weathered, Amy has returned to classic hymns and songs of redemption, along with contemporary choices.

I have weathered some things, too. I am a more tender person than I was before my trials. I'm more in love with Christ. I admit every day that I still need a Savior. And the same way Jesus called Amy Grant out of her own protective seclusion into the light again, He called me to "come on out," too. I am forgiven. In short, God used her gift and even her brokenness to speak to me when I had trouble hearing anything else.

So thank you, Susanne. You already know this, but I have attached your card in the front of my book to stay there forever, so I will always remember who gave it to me. So, so special!

13 comments:

Ann said...

I love it when I get totally absorbed in a book!!

Christian music is what really opened my eyes to a relationship with Jesus, my brother and sister in law sent me a cd way back when, and it just grew from there. I agree with your comment about Amy being flogged for crossing over.

I love reading the stories behind lyrics. It's funny, just this morning I was thinking about that when I came home from driving Owen to school. A Blindside song was on, and even though it's a cool song, I do not understand the lyrics. It's hard for me to really love a song if I can't understand the meaning behind it. For me, lyrics are so important.

Music is so powerful, I connect memories and times in my life to different albums and songs. Seems like there's a song for every moment!

Susanne said...

I am so glad I could bless you with it, Linda!

This post was a beautiful testimony of the redeeming love of God in your life. I love hearing how God will use certain things, like music, or certain people, and just minister to us when nothing else can. And I love how you knew exactly where that came from, from God the Father Himself, and you give Him the glory for allowing one young lady to minister to you in your time of need.

Susanne said...

Oh, and BTW, my random number generator picked you three times, woman, three times! I had to keep regenerating so I could get 3 other winners! LOL! So I think you were meant to have the book!

Susanne said...

And another P.S. I'm still praying for Nate and wisdom for his doctors.

Melanie said...

Amy helped so many of us in the beginning of her career. She is the Queen, so to speak, of Christian Contemp.
:>)

Cindy Swanson said...

Linda, head over to my blog when you get a moment...I've given you a much-deserved award!

samurai said...

I haven't done that in a very long time... sat down and read a book cover to cover. Man i want to though...

My beloved and I also love Amy Grant. Her Christmas album is a must every Christmas season...

marina said...

I love Amy Grant music when I frist started listenting to her in the ealy 80's she was hot!!her lycrics are always good and touching then the new Christian Contemp. music came in and I lost intersted for a while then groups change and I enjoyed christian music again I am the lycric type I have to hear the words not just the sound,and now I enjoy most of it.I cant wait to read her book sounds good.marina

Merrie said...

Yes, I have always enjoyed Amy's music. My girls loved to sing "Father's Eyes". That was our first love ...
Thanks for sharing.
Oh, and thanks for the update on Nate. We are keeping him covered.

marina said...

Linda, thank you ,you made may day!! I was heistating to write about my experince afraid of what people might think but then I got to thinking if I was like that how many more are like me,well use to be. Yes it was bad over a silly misunderstanding that blue way out more than it should of and she is a pastors wife.Rejection is hard it hurts!! The frist time something like that ever happen to me in a church setting,but now I think God lead me to go throug these so that I may grow from it remember he is still working in us making us out in what he has called us to be and maybe that was part of his way of shaping me.I learn its hard to redeem youself so I just had to let it go and let God.and trust him on these one remember" Hagar said he is the God who see's" thank you for reading my blog I am honor to have you post on my little old blog. YOU ARE ALL THAT AND A BIG OF CHIPS!!BLESSING FOR A VERY SPECIAL LADY, marina

Suzio said...

I love Amy Grant, and now that I know that she's go a book out, Hello, I've got to go get it. Where have I been? You are so lucky to have a good friend send it to you. I'm hitting the book store first thing in the morning!

On a more serious note, I will pray for Nate tonight.

Lynn Donovan said...

Girl,

You and I are sisters in so many ways. I have adored Amy and her music still moves me. I am listing to her Christmas albums this week.

Your open heart and courage to share touches me deeply. Your trials point to our Jesus and I am thankful for you.

BTW, how is your speach going?

Susan said...

Supposedly I won this book via a blog give away, I've been waiting for it for weeks and haven't gotten it. I guess I'm going to have to give in and go buy it. I've watched Amy's career from the time I was in high school. I have loved her for many reasons too. I remember when I went to one of her first concerts and a boy came up and asked her for one of her purple shoes. She said, "I know you think that I have a lot of money because I am standing on this stage and maybe in a few years I will, but right now, I can't afford to give you my shoes. I'm so sorry." It was so honest.

Hugs, Linda.

Susan

By the way, I LOVED the Osmonds the other day...I only wish it'd been longer...