Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Do You Hate Cooking? A Fun Quiz and Then a REAL Recipe from Me to Thee-Or-How I Feed My Family of Snakes





Linda

- a pinch of romance
- 1/2 a cup of flirting
- 2 heaping tablespoons of trustworthiness

Combine in a blender until smooth.
'What is your personality recipe?' at QuizGalaxy.com


Smooth? Although I would like hear Rob Thomas sing it, I am definitely not smooth. More like, "chunky." I can just hear him singing, "Because you're so chunkaaaaay."

Anyway. You've noticed (or maybe not) that I rarely post a recipe. In fact, in two years, I don't know if I ever have. That's because over the last five years, I have mainly stopped cooking. Oh, I still feed the family somehow every day. It's just that for real meals, they get fed like snakes. You know, one good solid meal every so many weeks.

I'm always looking for a way to maintain this new kitchen-free lifestyle because frankly, I hate cooking. Unless it's baking, which is a whole 'nother animal, like cookies, the other white meat.

So imagine my delight when I found this site offering over 400 recipes requiring five or fewer ingredients.

Is it too early for Handel's Hallelujah Chorus?

Here's one that got such a satisfied thumbs-up from my family that they still haven't asked for food for about two weeks (My goal is to get to three weeks without them saying, "What's for dinner?"):

Creamy Chicken Italian Something that You May or May Not Choose to Pair Pesky Vegetables With

Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 8 hours

Ingredients:
2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup butter, melted
8 oz. container cream cheese with chives, softened
10 oz. can condensed golden cream of mushroom soup
0.7 oz. pkg. Italian dressing mix or 1-1/2 Tbsp. Homemade Italian Salad Dressing Mix
1/2 cup water

Preparation:
Cut chicken breasts into strips and place into a 3-4 quart crockpot. In a medium bowl, combine melted butter, softened cream cheese, soup, Italian dressing mix and water and stir until blended. Pour over chicken in crockpot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir well, then serve over hot cooked pasta or rice.
You could add vegetables to this recipe to make it a one-dish meal. A package of baby carrots, or a cup of chopped onion should be placed under the chicken and cooked for the full time. Add sliced mushrooms to the crockpot in the last 2 hours. And add sliced bell peppers or zucchini during the last hour of cooking. Serves 4-6

9 comments:

Susanne said...

It must be easier to go on this bimonthly feeding schedule without big, strapping son not at home as they tend to prefer the eating 10 times a day schedule.

This recipe sounds yummy. I'll have to give it a try. Me and the crockpot are best friends.

Fresh Girl said...

Now I love to cook, but I'm going to be all over that recipe site, so thanks!

And your feed 'em like snakes strategy cracks me up. ;)

Heth said...

I thought you said, "feed them snakes" and I was curious as to what kind of a recipe this was going to be!

Lois E. Lane said...

I'm curious to know more of your thoughts on "Velvet Elvis." I have wanted to read it for some time, but haven't pulled the trigger...

samurai said...

This time of year is SO dangerous for me... so many wonderful smells... and foods... LOL

I will have to look into those recipes!

truth said...

I do like to cook and try new recipes. Thanks for sharing the site & the recipe. My crockpot is my best friend. We should trade food, I'll do the cooking, you do the baking. I don't like baking at all.

And no, it isn't too early for the Hallelujah chorus.

Ann said...

Joanne (Truth) has a blog where she's sharing her recipes. I love it! (recipes4me.blogspot.com) Sometimes I get in a rut and make the same stuff week after week.

Susan said...

Oh I am there for you. I HATE cooking! I'm so thankful that DH does it for us.

This recipe sounds yummy.

Susan

Stephanie (Ocean Mommy) said...

Thanks for this info! I'm always looking for easy and quick things that my girls can help with!

Looks pretty cool.

blessings
stephanie