Monday, November 05, 2007

I Got Nothin'

Sometimes, you just blog yourself silly. You're feelin' it--you know what I mean ... you're feeling creative, happy, on a roll, and you've got it goin' on. The words are flowing, and it just feels good to express yourself. And I think to myself, "What a Wonderful World."

And then you check your comments.

What's that you hear? The proverbial chirping of the crickets. Except for one. He's yawning.

Other times, you're drier than the dry socket of a wisdom tooth (a-hem). Ironically, that's when your public of 3 faithfuls blossoms to a burgeoning 6, and you've got yourself a regular cheerblock.

Who can figure.

But that's OK, because tonight I got nothin' but some randomness:

My dog poops about every other day instead of every day. I think this is a dogdom anomaly. But her stomach is supposedly the size of half a mandarin orange. Maybe that has something to do with it. Sometimes I think she's saving it up for just the right moment. For me.

I don't like it when companies hi-jack songs from my youth to sell their wares. Right now, Honda is using "Hold On Tight To Your Dreams" by ELO, from 1981, my high school graduation year. Honda is playing on my middle aged nostalgia to get me to buy their car. Not gonna do it, and you just make me want to hear the whole song. That's it.

I just realized today that I created my first Excel spreadsheet when I was about six. I used data from the JC Penney's Christmas catalog to create detailed lists, yes, that's plural because I revised it a couple of times a day, at least, of toys I wanted for Christmas. Fields: Page number, name of toy, catalog number, price. Plus I circled it just to back up my lists.

I choose the worst passwords for my Internet workings. First of all, they all have something to do with my dog, and that gets really confusing. And I make them all too long and try to type too fast, and I have to re-type it, and that makes me cranky. I always have to try two or three times on Blogger just to get to my own dashboard.

I just realized today that in addition to weight, age, wrinkles, career and clothing, that Site Meter has provided me yet another area in which to feel inadequate.

On a lighter note, Marie Osmond was awesome on Dancing with the Stars tonight. It was a 1940's two-step to Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy, one of my favorite songs anyway. She nailed it and stayed conscious and upright. She is 48. She rocks.

Oprah is having 100 Osmonds on her show this Friday. I'll be watching, but I won't be screaming "We love you, Donny!" like I did when I was 10 at the Indiana State Fair in the grandstand. I'll just be signing it from my recliner.

20 comments:

PJ said...

Ain't it jest the truth? That site meter is one more measure of inadequacy!! Sigh! At my age, ya'd think I'd a knew better. It's apast my bedtime. I better put the hillbilly ta sleep afore she gets out of hand.

Suzio said...

Speaking of middle aged nostalgia, have you noticed the Flintstones on a commercial recently...and how did Wilma afford that necklas with 3 huge rocks?

Melanie said...

You got somethin.'

:>)

lisa's chaos said...

Yeah, I think we all hear the crickets from time to time. :)

So, you have kids 15-21 too? How fun is that? I'll have to browse and see if I can see if you have boys, girls. . .

Nice to "meet" you!

Merrie said...

Too true, all of it! I feel as dry as south Georgia - south California...
I think sometimes, if I didn't check my own blog, I wouldn't have ANY hits!

Southern Girl said...

Oh my goodness, I hope Amy at Laughing through the Tears knows about the Osmonds on Oprah!

I'm feeling kinda slumpy in the blogging department, too. Maybe it's a phase.

Steffi said...

Hi Linda!
Thank you very much for stopping in my blog and your nice comment there.I hope you come back ...your blog is really good too.

Keasty said...

Hey Linda, just stopped by and having a cuppa with you. It's 11 pm and today we've travelled 380 miles returning from a funeral of a good friend.
I can empathize with you re passwords! Aren't they the worst? I must be the worst person at remembering my passwords because you're not supposed to write them down anywhere!

Susanne said...

I don't know Linda. I don't think you'll be able to hold all that Donny-ness in on Friday. I'm betting it'll come busting out.

I know what you mean about comments. What's happening. Somedays there's lots and other days next to nothing. Where is everybody?

Passwords are a treasure aren't they? Who can remember all of them never mind typing them.

marina said...

Linda, Marie Rock last night to the Boogie Woogie Bulge Boy I love that song too!and did you see her brother Donny go up on stage and gave her a kiss and she said"stop that" I once herd her say "trying having a bother that is better looking than you" must of been hard but he was better looking back then,you know I will be watching remember he sent me a sign post card!!
By the way I am class of 1979 Ge's that sounds old.marina

Carrie said...

You're too funny.
I watched dancing with the stars last night too, just by chance. I saw Marie's number and it was so good! I made the comment about how she looks GOOD to my husband. He replied "Lots of surgery and make up, honey. Lots." I knew there was a reason I loved that man. LOL
Hope you have a good day!
God bless :)

samurai said...

Boy do I know how you feel on the comments thing... and the stat counter thing! ;)

Hope you have a great day!

Cindy Swanson said...

I hear those dadgum crickets a LOT!!!

About Donny...my goodness, hasn't he aged well?

And Melanie's right: you do have sumpn!

Debbie said...

Just caught up on your last several entries. Where are you speaking? Have you gotten to page 145 in the book yet? Suess? Can you believe that? That ought to be encouragement to all writers to persist.
I love the Christmas spread sheet!
My "kids" still go through the catalog and circle things, write their names and make stars for stuff they really want.

Kacey said...

You are still just a kidlet to really old people. My children are 47, 48 and 50 --- I think of them as young people with graying hair. By my age, you are afraid to get a site meter, just in case you will mistakenly sign up for something that will take your Social Security check from you. The passwords thing is easier for me --- I was assigned one by Yahoo several years ago (before I knew I could think up my own) and it was so odd that I don't think anyone would ever think of it. I use it almost everywhere and everytime I type it, I think, "Man, this is one stupid password!" Good thing it is, because I can't remember the code to the garage door.
Anyway, we are not yawning out here today. And, the crickets are freezing their butts off in Ohio.

Ann said...

Linda, I love the randomness, and if you want to tell us all about your dog's poop, you just go right ahead, because you make it FUNNY!!!

Love it! :)

Jenny in Ca said...

Linda,

first time here, and I have to tell you that this post rocked! random, and yet I can identify. We don't have a tv hooked up for any kind of reception..I might have to make sure I am somewhere where I can catch the osmonds on fri...I always had a bit of a crush on him myself.
And sitemeter, it can be a sickness really...and yet I like knowing who visits...

Susan said...

Marie did look wonderful last night. It was so sad for me to hear of the passing of their Dad today. I'd love to watch 100 Osmonds on Oprah this week. I may have to tape it.

Sometimes random thoughts are fun.

:-) susan

marina said...

PS, I just found out that Marie Osmond Father died last night he was 90 years old. Wow,2 deaths on that show Jane S. and now marie's and Jane was voted off.how sad,
marina

thouartloosed said...

Linda,
I read your blog regularly and always find a tidbit or two I really enjoy and/or learn something from. I am not always able to think of an appropriate comment that wouldn't be repeating myself(ie; that was funny, witty, interesting...)and often choose to just not leave one. Perhaps I'm not the only reader who is comment challenged and that could be why you don't realize you make a lot people's day.(See! What the heck was that I just said?)
Kathy