Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Once the Train Gets De-Railed ...


The scene: Every Tuesday morning, the Oneighty staff joins other church staff members in the main church building for what is known as "Discipleship Team Meeting." There are representatives from each ministry there, specifically nursery through adult. We sit at a large round table which encourages discussion, at which we excel. Did I mention there are 9 women and 2 men?

Although we are a gregarious talky bunch, we do have to take care of business now and again. It's just that we get sidetracked with funny stories or comments, and then we have to be reigned back in by our patient leader.

Scene 2: You know that I'm very bad-breath conscious, and that having these wisdom teeth out is driving me nuts. I believe the odor is diminishing, but once in a while, I just feel I must have a mint. Thus, I keep a box of Altoids in front of me at all times.

Scene 3: We are discussing some item, and I feel the need for an Altoid. I discreetly open my box, get one out, start to put it in my mouth, when "bloop," it falls out of my hand and down my blouse.

I just sat there stupefied.

My boss across the table who managers never to miss a mistake I make broke into the discussion with, "Did what I think just happened really happen?" By this time, other people were already starting to laugh, and I just sat there, still stupefied.

So in a very dignified tone I replied, "Yes, yes it did. Now if I may be excused, please," and I got up and walked out with everyone howling and making jokes.

It was all downhill from there, on the ornery side. In church. One co-worker's comment that I can repeat was, "It got stuck on you, but it would have fallen through to my underwear." (Don't feel sorry for her; she's tall and model-thin!)

Once a train gets derailed that far, there's really no turning back. You just have to let all the cars get off on their little tangents and have their excursions. However, I did not feel like an wayward car, I felt like a cow stuck on the track.

Anyway, this is the group that our senior staff is entrusting on many levels to carry out our church's mission. Scary. Very scary.

16 comments:

Susan said...

Oh this cracks me up! I've actually done something similar but with no one watching. I imagine you were great meeting fodder. And as my Grandpa used to say, "If they're picking on you, they're leaving someone else alone!" Glad you all can laugh together....makes for a productive bunch I'm sure.

Hugs,

Susan

Mel's World said...

That is just awesome...as a Pastor, and a ministry leader, I know how "giddy" those meetings can get (especially with that many women compared to men...poor guys).

At least you can stop and laugh at that situation, because truly it WAS funny!

It is SO nice to meet you...I will be back for a 2nd, 3rd, and maybe 4th cup of coffee...stop by Mel's World and say Hello some time!

Melissa

Sharon said...

Coming by to check you out.
Poor thing. But you have to admit it was funny. I can only imagine the comments. Good thing it was a church setting. :)

Stacy said...

That's so funny! I don't know how many times I've done something similar.

Thank you for stopping by my blog.

Tammy said...

Sounds like a fun staff meeting to me. :)

The Preacher's Wife said...

and now you find yourself increased to a new level of hotness ..heehee ;)

Beck said...

Oh, I'm so glad to hear that this sort of thing doesn't just happen to me....

Johanna said...

Howdy!I just came over here on a whim when I saw your comment on Beck, and am now bookmarking your blog-and I am DEFINITELY going to encourage my children to call each other knorks.

Linda said...

Lisa, your comment would be exactly lined up with the staff comments. And to THINK you are PREACHER'S WIFE!! ha

Kimberly said...

I've been enjoying 2nd cup since September when I was really sick and unable to do anything except surf the internet. I found a lot of interesting blogs, but over time have eliminated all but three and yours is one of the three I kept on my bookmarks! Does that make you feel less inadequate?! :-)
Your blog makes me laugh and I look forward to reading it every day. When I am traveling and can't get to it daily, I catch up when I can. I love to read and because my life is so crazy right now, sometimes the only reading I get done is catching up on my favorite bloggers.
Bless you for sharing your thoughts with the rest of us!

Carol said...

Hah! I'm glad I'm not the only one stuff like that happens to. Love it!

Linda said...

Well, thank you, Kimberly. You sure made my day--week.

Seized by Hope said...

Great Story, I could really picture the challenge of trying to "descreetly" open that tin box and fold back the paper inside, only to be betrayed by your hand.

btw thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving your kind words.

Tracy

Susanne said...

LOL! I just don't even know what to add except thanks for the laugh.

Mama T said...

How funny!! I just found your blog, it's a great place!!! My parents live in Muncie and my father is a minister of a small church there. Small world. :)

chickadee said...

oh that's funny.