Thursday, November 29, 2007

"Whimsy" is My Middle Name

I've been painting goblets tonight because my table tomorrow night is going to have a snowflake theme. Tres originale.

When I got off work at 2 pm today, I went into the Oneighty gym, which is about to magically transform into a Martha Stewartish lollapalooza. Some women were already going about their business creating their elegant table masterpieces. Lots of them are not just decorating their tables but are also dressing their chairs. I sort of feel sorry for the guests who are going to sit in those chairs because no matter how festive they will dress, the chairs they're seated in will show them up. It would be hard to accept that your chair is prettier than you.

We had to give a short description of our tables and why we chose our theme. Women who are using their grandmother's china usually mention that. Sometimes there's a story behind the place settings. I asked my friend and co-worker about her description of her table (also snowflake themed). She said, "OH, Cathy (co-hostess) found this great verse in Isaiah about how the snow and the rain fall and water the ground, and that's how God's word nourishes us ...."

Wow. Do you know what my description said? "I am a grown-up who loves snow, so I decorated my table in big, happy snowflakes." Yes, I actually said that. It's a little simple even for Mr. Rogers' taste, but that's what I said. Probably channeling the painter Bob Ross: " ... some biiiig, happy snowflakes riiiight here."

Another snowflake-themed table (!) had goblets with dainty snowflakes delicately embossed on them with a gold rim. That was a little deflating. I had gone to Hobby Lobby and grabbed a couple of paint pens. I am therefore now designating my table as "whimsical." Because "Whimsy" is truly my middle name. And all this time I thought it was "Uncreative."

So now I'm off to starch my napkins. And you thought my middle name was "Boring."

12 comments:

PJ said...

I think your middle name is "Martha Stewart". I wouldn't dream of painting snowflakes and if I did, people would ask, "What are those white blobs?" (By profession I'm a teacher. I nearly failed "Blackboard writing")

Love the creativity....and you are FUNNY!!!

(I would have had to BRIBE somebody to do mine for me!!!)

Susanne said...

You should be proud of yourself. I never would think to paint snowflakes on my goblets. Mine would be plain Jane. I am totally not good at this kind of stuff at all. I love it but I'm not good at it.

Melanie said...

I think you have a free pass on this one. You've been writing a speech, for crying out loud! :>)
Can't wait to hear all about it!!

Heth said...

Are you really going to starch napkins? How does one go about doing that? You can see that under all the hoopla, I'm really just a laundry novice.

Cheryl said...

Oh what a good idea! snowflakes? in the picture the look is so professional looking. I'll bet it was very nice. I have really enjoyed my visit at your place today. Thanks for sharing. God Bless!

Merrie said...

Today is Friday... yippee... THIS is the DAY! I'm praying for your speach tonight... wish I was going to be there to sit at your table and hear the speach!
I'm sure yours is the most creative and best and those who sit there will be extra blessed!

Robin said...

My goodness - how did you even come up with the idea to paint your glasses - that's awesome!
I would love to sit at your table - where I would be prettier than the chair!

Carrie said...

You are most definitely creative! Don't compare yourself to others. We're all unique. I love those snowflakes, toooo cute!!!
God bless :)

Lois E. Lane said...

Any time you can work Bob Ross into a post I think it's a success :) Best of luck with everything tonight!

Debbie said...

I'll be happily sitting at the snowflake table tonight (hopefully looking better than my chair) while you prove again what the rest of us already know - you are extremely creative. I agree with Lois - any time you can work Bob Ross and Mr. Rogers into a post....
now , that's creative!!!

Kimberly said...

Your blog never fails to make me smile if not outright snort and emit weird laughing noises. (My family is used to it but strangers sometimes wonder if they need to attempt CPR). I really liked the comment about the chairs looking prettier than whoever sits in them. What a hoot!

Kay said...

I think your happy little snowflakes look wonderful!
And I would rather be at a whimsical table any day!