Saturday, December 01, 2007

Behold the Table of Whimsy




















THANK YOU, all of you, who were so sweet to pray for me and leave notes of encouragement here and through email. That you would care enough to do that for someone you've never met, once again, touches me deeply.

The talk itself went fine, although the couple of hours at home before that when I was rehearsing was awful. I stood and practiced aloud (only Zoe was home) and timed myself. I can't tell you how many times I messed up the intro at home. One reason was that I changed the intro a little because of all of your comments about the chair being prettier than the guest. You were accidental speech editors! Thanks for your help! Also, and this is a big, sincere, "Praise God," the technical part and the soloist's part worked out perfectly. I'm not kidding; I bet I spent 40-50 hours on the Powerpoint, and that was what I was most worried about.

This is the only picture of my table I was able to take before the event started. I put a snowflake-patterned blanket on the white cloth, then used chargers and plates because we did not have a full meals, just cheesecake and coffee. I switched mug and napkin patterns every-other-one around the table. Each guest took home the little votive at the top of their plate and the ornament used as a napkin ring/place marker. If you click on the pick you can see details better. Yes, that's cotton batting for snow. That sort of felt juvenile to me, but I guess it all worked. I added some of my snowman collection placed on different heights of boxes wrapped in iridescent paper and a tall candle centerpiece with "snow" around it. That crazy snow was so electrostatically charged that is stuck to the glass, the candle, my hands ... That was a hassle. Some people thought I was joking about painting the goblets, but I just bought a couple of paint pens and made something that looked a little like pie wedges and added some tiny lines that made it look like a snowflake. Finally, I ended up buy flatware that I'm only going to use on the holidays from now on.

Here are some other pictures, and if I can get my hubby to do it, I'll post the videotaped intro to the talk.

Fresh Girl said...

All the tables so look pretty, Linda, but I think you just outdid yourself -- that was absolutely lovely! I'm so glad the talk went well...they say if you have a bad dress rehearsal, the actual performance will be flawless. ;)

I have blogged about a precious family who could use some prayers today and in the coming days -- I'd appreciate it if you'd stop by.

Tammy said...

Looks awesome. Tell us more about this event. The tables are beautiful! Can't wait to listen to you speak if you can post that. :)

Heth said...

Gorgeous table! You did an amazing job!

Johanna said...

Wow, beautiful!!!I hope you are sitting around in your pajamas and resting up now!!(I mean, if that's how you like to relax after very hard work.....). This got me all Christmas-y feeling, even though we still have bees stinging us here, and mosquitoes biting, I'm about to run out and get a tree....

Roxanne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roxanne said...

Your table is GORGEOUS--I love that it's so bright and festive. . .and you looked great in your suit. :) I'm glad that things went smoothly, and like all big deal events, it's much more fun after it's over. :)

Suzio said...

Love the table, and I'll be this was a fantastic event. You are very creative.

marina said...

Linda, your table look very pretty all of it did!! you did a great job!!I told you if you write was good as you do on your blog you will do a good job and you did!! Parise God, You look so pretty up there and in black!! can't go wrong/so relax now and take it easy treat yourself to someting you like. you did well!!
love,marina

Susanne said...

Your table is just gorgeous! How fun and festive it looks. What a lovely evening.

Carrie said...

It turned out beautifully! I bet everyone had such a good time.
God bless :)

Merrie said...

WOW... I love the table and the whole idea of teh festive gathering. It was lots and lots of work, I'm sure, but well worth it! You looked so pretty and relaxed while you were sleeping. It's fun to see the pictures of the family and the tables and friends...
Thanks for sharing your life with us!

Cheryl said...

All of the tables were so pretty. It reminds me of something we used to have at our church. The church women chose a table and decorated it and we invited guests. It was really fun. Your girls are lovely! Glad to hear everything worked out well. God Bless!

Melanie said...

Your table looks great! I love the red and white combo for snow,instead of the expected blue and white!! It reminds me of candy canes and snow. Great job!
I know you did great on your speech!! :>)

Cyndy said...

I would just like to say that I love wimsy, red, white and snowflakes...in fact your table would fit in my house this time of year just perfectly...oh and I like the "snow"!

Vicki said...

That was awesome! Everything turned out so well! Love the snowflakes, too.

Becky said...

We used to go to a church that had a Christmas banquet every year. Several women would decorate a table and then invite folks to come and sit. It looks so festive and so beatiful. They even gave a prize for the one voted the best.

You table is so cute. I love the whimsy of it. Great job!

I'll have to come back to hear the talk. I am on my way to bed. It is late and I am falling asleep :)

Laura said...

That is one LOVELY table. Well done!

chickadee said...

wow that's a beautiful table. i never decorate my table but i always want to.

thanks for your very kind comment on my blog. it that's the case i guess i don't mind getting older.