Saturday, December 01, 2007

The Epilogue on "The Talk"

Simon says, "Wave your right hand." Simon says, "Raise your left hand if you've read enough about this talk already." Simon says, "If you'd like to see a couple of clips from the talk, click away."

The first clip lasts 2:52. It's the introductory part of the speech, a little "joke-ish." I'm talking about my insecurities when it comes to decorating and preparing for an event like this. The 2nd clip lasts 2:29. It's the conclusion, and I'm talking about the "Great Gathering" we will all be at someday if we've invited Christ into our hearts and lives. These are the glad tidings of great joy: There is room at the gathering of the Lord for each of us because Jesus came to earth to make a way for us to join the great family of God at the table. The audio is not that great since my husband used our own video camera to tape it. If this isn't enough wild fun for you, email me, and I'll send you the script. I only offer that because if you are in charge of a women's ministry and are looking for ideas for an event, this could be tweaked to work for you. You can't tell what the talk's about from the clips.

Notes/Tips of interest:
1. My pantsuit is black, not dark green. But if it had taped black against that black curtain, I would literally be a talking head. And hand.
2. That is the mic wire hanging out of my jacket, not a watch chain, as gansta-cool as that look might on a pinstripe suit like mine.
3. It's always important, when you're speaking to a crowd, to completely ignore the right side of your audience. Only turn and tilt your head to the left the entire night. That is the professional way to work a crowd.
4. Make sure you sip enough water before your speech so that you feel the need to pee through the whole thing.
5. To perk up audience interest, try misprounouncing a couple of words and phrases. For example, in talking about Chicken Pox ravaging a neighbhood at Christmastime one year, I called it, "Christmas Pox." Well, the bumps ARE red.



16 comments:

Connie@Little Red Hearts From God said...

I thought you looked darn good... nah, great...

I'm laughing... because when i talk to groups.. I do the same thing... I get comfortable with one side...I'm totally rightsided..

You are brave, you recorded yourself.. I would DIE watching myself...

and you can laugh...

You go girl

Jerri Phillips said...

I just think you are cool.

I know. It's not profound, but it's true, and remember, when you were going to Mrs. Donny "cool" was the bomb.

julie said...

I think you did great. I enjoyed reading all the posts about your talk. I think your table decorations looked great.

Thanks for stopping by my place and leaving such a sweet comment. It truly warmed my heart.

Blessings,
Julie

Tammy said...

Great job! Sure looked like fun! Thanks for sharing!

Cindy Swanson said...

Linda, you did great! I don't know if I would even want to see myself giving a talk...but you're right, it is a good way to critique yourself. You looked lovely and you did very well!

Debbie said...

The talk was great - the table was great and I am so grateful that I was there to experience it in person. I am especially grateful for being blessed with such a wonderful, kind, talented friend.

Lois E. Lane said...

Sounds --and looks-- like it was a success! Such a great message in that conclusion. Expectations are dangerous things. It's taken me years to figure out that I should view Christmas, birthdays, weddings, etc. simply as days where I spend a lot of time with some people I love. That's what it's about anyway, right? Everything else is just icing on the cake :) Thanks for sharing!

Teresa said...

It looks like you all had a great evening. I enjoyed the two clips. Great job! Your table was really cute too. :o)

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I know I'm going to enjoy the teen years with my daughter. We're really close and I look forward to going through this stage of her life with her! Thanks for your encouragement.

Tammy said...

Linda...wow. But before I say any more, I can't believe how far behind I've gotten here...I had to scroll way down and just today am finding that I didn't win that Donny CD.
Oh well...
Anyway, I am so glad your speaking engagement went so well...I can tell by the clip that you did a super job! (But thanks for making me smile about all your so-called foibles!) ;)

I couldn't get up and talk more than 20 seconds to a group that large without shaking like a leaf...and you have such poise! And your voice and mannerism is just as I expected- just like your writing!

Even though we're the same age, I want to be you when I grow up! ;)

Heth said...

Good job! It's so fun to "hear" you, not just read you.

marina said...

Linda, I agree with tammy I want to be like you when I grow up too!!
you did such a good job!!
I think if I had too get up and talk like that I would have a PANIC ATTACK!!
LOVE.marina

The Preacher's Wife said...

You ROCK :))

And I personally loved your table theme description. As my husband tends to tell me when I try to overspiritualize a point - Sometimes a snowflake is just a snowflake.. :))

Roxanne said...

I just think it's cool that you got to wear that rockin' headset microphone. :)

Melanie said...

Great job! I just had a quiet moment to listen and watch.

Kudos!!

Susan said...

I loved this!! I've watched myself give talks before...and it IS good to find out what you do. I wish I had been there to hear the whole thing. I am sure you are a blessing to so many people.

Hugs to you!!

:-) Susan

Merrie said...

What fun to actually be able to "see" and "hear" you. Blogs are great, but the "live" performance is wonderful. You have lots to share with the world and you do it so gracefully and wonderfully! Thanks for being YOU!