Wednesday, December 05, 2007

The First Snow-el
















The first Snow-el
The superintendent did say
Was to certain poor students
In beds where they lay

In beds where they
lay keeping their sleep
on a cold winter's night
in blankets a-heap:

"Snowel, Snowel, Snowel, Snowel
Get your butts up now and
get to schoo-el."


Our school superintendent is just all kind and sentimental like that.

Every county surrounding us is on a delay or cancellation, but not ours. Nevermind that it's a country school where kids have to get up before dawn and wait for busses a half mile from home. Or that parents haven't had a chance to shovel the drive if they're taking their kids. No, they must be there on time today because otherwise, we'd have to go until May 16th instead of May 15th.

I was commiserating with my daughter about how unreasonable this decision is, and I said, "I don't know why the superintendent doesn't call a delay," to which she replied comletely dead-pan, "Maybe he's dead."

Yikes.

11 comments:

Susanne said...

I cannot remember the last time a snow day was called around here. It would take a major blizard. I think we might have the same superintendant.

Linda said...

In Canada???

Lois E. Lane said...

Are you sure he doesn't have green fur and a heart that two sizes too small?
:)

Robin said...

Love the Yorkie picture!
I would take the snow day anyway!

Debbie said...

I always wonder how they make that decision since a lot of the time it seems pretty random.

Especially in this case when the rest of the county schools were either delayed or closed.

Apparently he lives a mile dow the road from the state highway garage or something.....

Kelli said...

*ba dum dum*

samurai said...

We sort of had the same thing here... but they did call school a little early... which is nice, because my kids were not liking going back to school after being away for a week...

I love the 'whimsy' pictures BTW...

Melissa @ The Inspired Room said...

Hey, just stopped in and saw that cute puppy dog! What a cutie! And as I am peeking around, I see you are writing at the Christian Women Online internet cafe! Nice to meet you, I've been writing articles for CWO for the past few months! Small world!

Blessings!

Suzio said...

Oh my goodness, Ya'll don't know how lucky you are to have SNOW. I'd love to see a little snow around here, it would make it seem so much more Christmasey. I'll be pulling weeds in the back yard today and we've got to get the grass cut, but I'd much rather be bundled up drinking hot chocolate and watching snow fall!

The Preacher's Wife said...

maybe i should introduce you to the concept of letting your kids skip...

that's all my 8 yr old wanted for his birthday so we laid out of school and went everywhere he wanted to go...it was a BLAST and he thinks I'm so cool because of it..:))

Lisa

PJ said...

The acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. Somebody has her mommy's sense of humor!!! Yikes, indeed. LOL Look out...one young public speaking coming up!