Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Works For Me Wednesday

(Rocks in My Dryer)
Simple Foolproof gifts for teachers, friends, bus drivers, work staff, clubs, small groups, Sunday school teachers, etc: You can make inexpensive but cute ornaments by purchasing paint pens and ready-to-decorate bulbs, clear or frosted. I purchased all of my supplies at Hobby Lobby (cue symphonic strains of praise for Hobby Lobby).

Write the person's name on one side. If you're not confident that you can do it straightly or evenly, make it obviously off-kilter, in a whimsical way. In other words, you would write "Linda" with the L low, the i higher, the n lower than the i, etc. Embrace your inner whimsicality, as I did here. Yes, embrace it and then release it upon yon Christmas bulbs.

On the other side, I made snowflakes by drawing a line, then drawing another line perpindicularly intersecting (I knew geometry would come in handy someday!) the first line. Draw two more lines to make your figure look like a pie cut in wedges. Then just make little lines coming off the main lines slanted. I added white dots on red flakes and silver glittery pain from a little bottle that you squeeze.

The paint dries really fast. In the clear bulbs, I added sparkly snow inside the bulb. Also, if you use clear bulbs and make a mistake, you can use an SOS pad and lightly scrub it off and simply start over! You can't do this with the frosted ones, though, because you'll scrub off the frosting.

Here are the ones I made:


15 comments:

Fiddledeedee (It Coulda' Been Worse) said...

Linda,
Those are beautiful! I use to pour acrylic paint inside the class balls, and swirl it around. And I SOLD them at craft shows. Sadly, all my breakable ornaments are stashed away. Until the children leave for college.

I love the personalized touch of yours!

Susanne said...

Too cute. This is something my artsy fartsy younger girl would love to do.

marina said...

Oh Linda,they are Beautiful!! but I don't think I could make the snow flakes.I need to go to Hobby Lobby and go check it out I am glad I read your blog I was going today for some cookie cutters but I will check these out.thanks,marina

Heth said...

CUTE! Great idea.

Melanie said...

Those are PRECIOUS! You are the queen of whimsy!

I am writing a Lucy post after your comment...

Carrie said...

Those are so pretty! You did a great job. I'll have to keep this in mind.
God bless :)

Seized by Hope said...

They look beautiful!

Lois E. Lane said...

A perfectly lovely idea. Thanks!

Ronnica said...

Thanks for stopping by! I think that Sundays are busy because all the people who avoid Walmart on Saturdays end up coming on Sundays.

Those ornaments are cute (and look relatively easy).

tickledpink.nicole said...

WOW! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE them! Thanks for the great idea!

Annoyed said...

They are SO CUTE! Maybe if I get some time this weekend, I'll go to Hobby Lobby and get the supplies. Thanks so much for the idea :)

Jennifer

julie said...

Those are really cute, what a great idea.

Cyndy said...

Oh, I think you saved me time and money...I have a box of clear ornaments that I've been saving from my crafter days (I too swirled paint and sold them!). They have been sitting in the garage waiting for me to be inspired.

Susan said...

I love these! My SIL made soccer ones for her kids team. They were great. I love these too....they are just fun.

:-) Susan

PJ said...

We made these as an activity at a Ladies' Christmas gathering one year. Most loved it. Mine??? My whimsical is more "mess-ical" than anything!!! But it was certainly an original! Yours are beautiful!

I alway love your writing "cue musical strains..." indeed!!!