Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Anatomically Correct Shoes and The Terrier Terror

Are you sure your shoes are anatomically correct?

Seriously, are you sure? Have you checked?

Because yesterday, I just happened to notice that inside my slip-ons that I wear out to the curb, it clearly states that they are anatomical, which leads me to ponder: Who knows what I've been carelessly slapping on my tootsies all these years--anatomically incorrect shoes? Perhaps I forced my feet into shoes actually designed for ... ears. And goodness knows the ever-stylish pointy toes do not even remotely resemble anatomically correct feet.

I bought these little shoes a few years ago in an open bazaar in Kazakhstan. That explains the Russian writing in them and the announcement that they are anatomic shoes. That explains it, all right.

And now, I thought I'd share with you what I see the entire time I cook any meal. Even my best meal, cereal.

She usually stands there the entire time, basically on my foot, not looking up at me, but looking straight ahead into the cabinet, which is about 3" away, just concentrating, really hard, to be sure not to miss the stray green onion or chicken piece that falls. I wish my kids concentrated this hard on homework. She's like a Venus Fly Trap for scraps. Shoulda named her Venus.


And here she is, standing at what we like to call the "Yorkie Border." She cannot jump or knock over this table leaf which serves as a makeshift barrier to the front part of the house. (She looks innocent enough, but she is not trustworthy.) Here's the sad thing. She's standing there, waiting ... waiting ... waiting ... for the kids to wake up in the morning. This is what she does; she stands and waits. It's sad because in a few days, there will be no college kids coming down the hall, and the high schooler will be busy getting ready to go to school in the mornings. So she will just be standing there like that kid in the Shane movie. Sad. Sad little Yorkie.

16 comments:

Merrie said...

I am so impressed with how clean your floor and cabinets are! -even WHITE! You are such an example in so many ways of what a REAL Proverbs woman is - or should be...
"Venus" is precious. We sure share love for the same things... my yorkie does the same thing and no matter where food is being touched, he is there just waiting. He is more like our vacuum cleaner since he inhales whatever comes close to the floor.

Tammy said...

This was so cute, Linda...(love those last couple of lines!) Cute and sad...:(

And how I wish that little barrier worked for our dog...or as I have lately nicknamed her, LabBrute. But not only could she easily step over it, but she'd most likely just eat it. *sigh*

If I haven't already wished it, a very Happy New Year to you and your family, Linda!

Greatfullivin said...

I feel so saaaad for your sweet puppy. Please stop by my blog I have a little something for you!

Susanne said...

Awwwww, her waiting pic is so cute and sad at the same time. I can't believe your kids are all still out of school.

The anatomically correct shoes made me laugh.

Mocha with Linda said...

Love that about the shoes. But considering how much my feet have been hurting lately with plantar fascitis, I'm realizing many of my shoes have actually been anatomically incorrect after all. LOL! Sure takes the fun out of shopping - I love cute ones.

Thanks for stopping by my post. I've been dying (metaphorically speaking, of course!) to tell someone about that book. And I see in your previous post you mentioned Angela Hunt's book Uncharted - I LOVE Angela Hunt's books as well. Although Uncharted was a little unsettling. I've been wanting to find someone who taped The Note a couple of weeks ago on TV.

Nancy Rue told me (I've had the privilege of spending a little time with her at Vicki Courtney's conferences) that she and Angela are friends and have been talking about how much fun it would be to write a book together.

Sorry to be so long-winded. . . .

Melanie said...

I would bet that those shoes are supposed to read "orthopedic" but it all got lost in translation. I'd hate for you to be known to wear orthopedic shoes, though. Klassy. ;>)

C said...

Funny post! Hey, is she not trustworthy because she is not housebroken yet? How long have you had her? We got a Yorkie two months ago, have been working with her vigorously to get her housebroken, and she's still not. Very discouraging. I read that Yorkies are one of the hardest breeds to housebreak because of their independent nature. What do you think?

Heth said...

I love your dog.

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

I think it is so sad that she cannot jump over that little bitty barrier! Tiny baby!

I have 3 little creatures who stare up at me whenever I cook with eerily similar looks on their faces. Maybe I should try flicking some scraps on the floor to appease them.

NYC said...

Your dog is so cute!

marina said...

Every since I had my son at age 40 I have been looking for the perfect soft shoe but in style I have found some cute ones call SO Soft, they are kind of expensive I only have one pair and they are summer shoes, but I can't wear heels anymore something about having a baby and my age and keeping up with him heels and me don't work,,,Oh, Linda I love your sweet little dog my son wants a little dog so bad ,but I just don't know how too train them but everyday when I pick up from school my son says "mommy can we go look at the puppys". and I say later b/c I didn't know how to take care of them.I mean what do I do with the puppy when I am gone??I would worry about him or she.marina

Jen said...

So funny. Your little dog is very cute. My dog stands at my feet while cooking and under my 2 year olds chair during any meal....he gets lucky quite often.

Robin said...

There is no dog that can melt a heart like a yorkie can - I have 2 of them! And they are the same way when I cook - just hoping, hoping, hoping!
And they usually get what they are hoping for!

Shonda said...

Oh how I love your humor! I come over when I need a good laugh to break the tension. (Yes I have tension--2 boys that I home school! and competitive, must have the last word; wont be quiet--ah finally my teen went to work and I have time for a funny!)

"Venus" knows where her food comes from!! She's a cute thing!

Blessings in Christ--

PJ said...

Yorkie at your feet...another reason to wear anatomically correct shoes. Wouldn't want to set a bad example for the little one!! :)

Love the pics! Think of how much more time YOU'll have with little "Venus" after the kids are out of the house!

Melanie said...

Hey- Did you get my last email?