Friday, January 11, 2008

Friday's Feast







Appetizer
What is your middle name? Would you change any of your names if you could? If so, what would you like to be called?

Ann. My mom named me Linda after Linda Darnell, the 1940's movie star, which I think is funny. No one my age is named Linda; they're usually older than I am. I used to hate it when I was in school. It was like being named Betty Lou or Mabel from another era. But it could have been worse. She was about to name me Beth, which I like OK, but I would have been "Beth Batt" until I got married. That sounds like a Jewish holiday. And now you can see that I turned out completely glamorous like Linda Darnell.

Soup
If you were a fashion designer, which fabrics, colors, and styles would you probably use the most?

I would steal everything from Vera Wang. I like strong, classic lines rooted in the 40's. But sometimes I get on a feminine kick.

Salad
What is your least favorite chore, and why?

Cooking. It's tedious and unrewarding and messy and doesn't taste good. It's like when you were little and you got out the Play-doh for a friend and then realized you never wanted to get it out nor clean it up. Bummer.

Main Course
What is something that really frightens you, and can you trace it back to an event in your life?

Driving on the interstate. My mom and dad were extremely cautious about my driving and scared me by saying, "Linda, if you make one small mistake, you could wipe out somebody else and your passengers and yourself." I am a white knuckler when I have to do it.

Dessert
Where are you sitting right now? Name 3 things you can see at this moment.

I'm sitting with you, of course. A coffee mug (surprise--see post below and header above), a picture of my dog and a piece of Dove chocolate that is flirting with me outrageously.

Friday's Feast

11 comments:

Susanne said...

Oh to be named after a movie star. I was named after my mom's doggy from childhood. Sigh. But all in all I do like both my name and my middle name. But don't call me Susan.

Melanie said...

I wasn't named after anyone but my friend Melanie was named after the character in Gone With The Wind. She always hated it and said she would have liked to be named Scarlett instead. Melanie was just too mousy.

Heth said...

That was really fun to read.

marina said...

Ok,that was too funny, I am still hear but I can't speak or I would be laughing!!!Linda Darmell never herd of her but she is beaitiful!! you did trun out like her.
when I was lerning to drive I was so scared of the fryway and I had to learn how to drive a stick car where you change the gears.. that was hard!! I always thought I was going to roll back while changing gears talk about fear!!
love your post.marina

Fresh Girl said...

We share a middle name! You, me, and probably half of the rest of the female population of the United States. ;)

Your salad makes me so sad. :( That's one of my favorite things to do! (As evidenced by my current attempt to lose weight.)

My feast is up, too.

Mari said...

My mom named me after my grandmothers Mary and Gail, spelling the names differently. NOBODY my age is named Mary (let alone Mari) either. I used to hate it. Actually, I still don't like it much...

**"Liza"** said...

Ohh I love Vera Wang wedding dresses..great feast here! Linda Darmell is a nice name
Have a great weekend!
Mine is up too

Jen said...

Great feast answers. I always love hearing how people get their names.

Susan said...

Your "name story" makes me laugh. My brother and I were at a graduation a few years ago and looking at all the names. There wasn't one Susan in the whole group of over 700. My brother leaned over and said, "Your name's like the next Gertrude or Agnes." Oy!!

And I'm totally there for you on the COOKING thing....but then, I'm pretty sure I've made that clear via my blog.

Hugs,

:-) Susan

Ang baylis said...

When I was young I always wished my name was Linda! Seriously, I still love your name! Every single Linda I meet, I like! So... I guess we're friends!
Love,
Angie xoxo

Linda said...

Oh, Ang. That is one of the sweetest comments I've ever received on my blog.