Sunday, January 20, 2008

Loster and Loster in LOST

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42. That's what's been going through my head lately when I'm between that place of sleeping and waking. This is bad.

In season 2, the setting gets more and more science fictionish due to that stocked bunker down the hatch. What is up with that hatch?
I liked the plot better when it realistically portrayed the aftermath of the plane crash. I'm much more interested in relationships than in bio-gesic-helio-enviro-pandemic domes or whatever that bunker space is.

Even though this series is not a novel, Jordan Rosenfeld, contributing editor to Writer's Digest , expressed my feelings about plots in general in the article "Novel Revision for the Faint of Heart:"

...your novel is, in essence, a promise you've made to your readers. This promise goes something like this: 'I solemnly swear that I'm going to lead you somewhere meaningful, and make sure that you know where you're going. I might surprise or scare you, but I will not lead you astray.'

I am feeling led astray on Lost. I know that it's a suspense series, and by its nature I should expect twists and cliff-hangers, but I am not enjoying these meanderings as much as the ones that were more relevant in the first season.

Someone out there who is more advanced than I in watching LOST, please tell me this strange new plot device will make sense-
without giving away the story line!

No comments: