Monday, January 14, 2008

My Guilty Pleasure


With apologies to Phil Collins:

I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Dawg
And I've been waiting for this moment, for all my life, oh Dawg.
Can you feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Dawg, oh Dawg.



So here we are, back for another season. I've heard there will be some changes, but that could be hearsay. For instance, the theme song will stay the same, but the graphics will change. Also, they are supposedly going to focus less on star mentors and more on the background stories of contestants.

I would rather not know more about this contestant. This photo is complete TMI.

Have you ever known someone personally who has auditioned? I am acquainted with one person, and a close friend of mine has an employee who tried out. That girl said that the reason people are so incredulous when they're dismissed is that they have already passed through several stages of judging, or faux judging, and they believe they have potential because they keep making it a step further into the process. In reality, the powers that be have passed them on because they are terrible, and everyone knows that the terribleness is a huge draw of the first episodes of the show.

Hmmm. I feel a twinge of guilt.

But not enough to keep me from watching tonight, when I will be alternately eating popcorn, sipping Diet Coke and putting a pillow over my face when I suffer humiliation for people who obviously do not have that capability even at the cellular level.

To balance that out, I'm declaring right here that the judges' behaviors are often as embarrassing as the contestants'. Check out this Mad TV parody of the judges. The Paula parody is hilarious and dead-on! It makes me count the hours until tonight!
(tiny bit of rough language)

17 comments:

Jen said...

I'am rolling.....too funny. Loved it. It was perfect. We cant wait until tonight either. We will have our popcorn and drinks too.

Sister Honey Bunch said...

Paula Abdul is a complete loon!

I can't wait for the new season to begin. And in February I have a Bible Study that will be on Tuesday nights. Talk about a rock and a hard place! I wish we had Tivo!

Susanne said...

Too funny!

I can hardly wait for it to come on. It is a sad tale of the excitement in my life when this is the high point of my week, I tell ya.

I read "Idol Eyes" by Mandissa last year and it really is amazing what goes on behind the scenes of that show.

Praise and Coffee said...

I love the auditions! It's my favorite part.

Sue

Amydeanne said...

i'm howling! that's hilarious! and yes, I love it too!

Greatfullivin said...

I too am excited for another season of Idol. I just heard today that McFee, Studdard and Hicks all got booted by their record labels. Paula Abdul...if not on drugs and/or alcohol is one crazy woman. The ladies of the cotillion will be live blogging Idol at http://themediansib.com if you are interested. Have a fun evening!

samurai said...

I jsut cringe watching thsoe shows...

Susan said...

I can't wait until it all begins!! I know I heard a very interesting news report this morning about how hard it is for all the ones who even "make it"...interesting.

:-) Susan

dcrmom said...

I can't wait for the final 24. I endure the audition episodes. I rather enjoy the Hollywood phase. But it's when the final 24 start performing that I Really get into it. Still. I'm counting down the minutes till 8pm tonight! :-)

marina said...

Linda, come on over to my blog I have something for you!! marina

PJ said...

Oh my!! How funny!!! I thought the "Simon" character was right on!

Fresh Girl said...

I found my blood pressure went way down when I gave up on American Idol after season three. ;) The judges' biased comments and manipulation of the audience and yes, the practice of humiliating people in the auditions by continually passing them through auditions and telling them they were great, just to have them available for the Zero Trio to make fun of on national television...well, it turned me way off.

I wish they'd run it as a straight talent contest, but everything is geared toward ratings and money. *sigh*

Angie said...

Lands alive! That was hilarious! Could not help myself! I am not as avid a fan as some (my coworkers--and you maybe) but have watched enough to know these were right on!
Too funny! Needed this to end my evening on!!
Thanks!!

Angie said...

Linda! That was hilarious! They are so "them"!
Thank you for your kind comment on my internet cafe post!
Blessings to you---I have found a fun new place to visit! HERE!

Missy @ It's Almost Naptime said...

Ok, what was up with all the TEARS tonight??? I was about in conniptions when they walked out Miss Temptress!!

rmpl said...

I wish I enjoyed this show, because I really do enjoy your blog and have a feeling that more Idol posts are to come. But I just don't get it. I feel so bad for some of those people.

I do hope you enjoyed it though.

Jolene

Ann said...

Loved the Phil Collins bit! haha!

I've watched with the kids, and they don't understand. They'll ask me, "Is he good?" or "Is she good?" And I have to try to explain it.

I haven't had a chance yet to watch any of it this season. Once I get this house put together I'll have more time in the evenings. Keep us posted though!