Monday, January 07, 2008

Thanks to the Two Cindys, We Are LOST

Lost. Is what my family has become to this series, which features thunderous, ominous, rumbling music every ten minutes with a polar bear leaping up and biting your face off right in your family room. Every 10 minutes.

My blogger friend Cindy has posted many times how much she loves it, and my RL friend Cindy owned the first season, so ... due to the hypnotic influence of the Cindys, I had to see what it was like, but I put off watching it until I knew I would not be flying in the near future.

Wise choice.

It reminds me a little of Uncharted by Angela Hunt. And coincidentally, "Hunt" happens to be the surname of one of the Cindys, so I'm suspicious that I'm in a surreal plotted moment in time myself, like the Lost cast. In fact, at work today, the blustery wind outside made a terrible rumbling noise inside, which almost made me turn around and stab my boss with an Xacto knife in .25 seconds, which is what Kate on Lost would certainly do if she were a secretary. And then I'd have a flashback.

Anyway.

This weekend, my family spent a lot of time in our big, hollow family room with wooden floors and terrible acoustics that causes everything we watch to sound like it's being broadcast in Xtreme Ultimate Surround Sound, especially polar bear growls and Yorkshire Terrier barks. So this really adds a lot of ambiance every time a character screams or the bear runs at you at 60 miles an hour and bites your face off.

My college freshman son, Joe Cool, who is STILL on break, has become addicted. He can no longer wait for the rest of us to watch with him, so he is now ahead of us. He is really into this show because his interests lie in EMT-type stuff (lifeguard who wants to be a physical therapist) and in loud noises and wild boars that pierce your thigh with their tusks.

So I sat down here to check my mail, and he was lying on the sofa watching. All of a sudden, the episode came to a shocking, cliff-hanger conclusion (the only kind Lost has) and before I could react with an "Oh, my!" he bolted straight up and shouted, "OH---JUNK!" (an inarticulate yet creative conglomeration of interjections) and looked around the room as if to say, "Did you see THAT?" which, of course, no one did, and seeing that Joe Cool had completely lost his cool, I CRACKED UP.

So now he is just "Joe." And we are all lost, thanks to Lost, and the Two Cindys.

19 comments:

Barbara H. said...

We're Lost addicts, too!!

At first I only watched because of Dominic Monaghan -- I liked him in LOTR. I wasn't really interested in what I thought was a movie about how people survive a plan crash. But I was hooked that first episode!!

Can't wait for the new season!

Barbara H. @ Stray Thoughts

Penelope Anne said...

So will not allow myself to get hooked on this series, I have enough to keep up with.

Okay, I am begging my pals for a bit of help today and this week. I entered a poetry contest, part of my writing goal, and am asking you pop here: http://wannabeawritersomeday.blogspot.com/2008/01/i-am-entering-poetry-contest-yikes-and.html and if you like what you read, think about following the link at the end of the post and voting for me.
Thanks a bunch.
Your pal, Penelope

Melanie said...

I was so hoping that Lost would be my new X Files but I haven't watched it enough to get into it.

Cindy Swanson said...

Linda, I challenge anyone to watch the first episode and not get hooked! I started watching the show just as you're doing, on DVD. That is really the BEST way to do it. No commercials. No having to wait after a cliffhanger (unless you want to do pesky things like sleep and eat.)

Anyway, glad you like it! :) I can't wait till the new season begins on January 31st.

Amy said...

Welcome! Isn't Lost just a mind-blower?!? lol A friend - who knew I was addicted to Lost - told me about your blog. I'll be back! If you want some good links to get further into it - just let me know. I love to get others just as hooked as I am! ;-)
Amy
http://www.osbornz.net/amy
http://knitnmom.wordpress.com

Amy said...

Thanks for visiting my blog :) Have you seen this video yet? The first 3 seasons of Lost in 8min, 15 secs! It's really well done!
http://osbornz.net/amy/?p=924

Amy :)

Teresa said...

I'm glad Amy came over for a visit! I knew she'd love it. :o) I've never watched LOST personally, but after hearing your review...and of course Amy's...I may have to try it out! Would it be okay for a 10 and 13 year old to watch?

Life In Progress said...

Lost is the most frustrating show on television, but I still like it. I'm not even sure I really care about actually watching it because it does make me crazy. But, I really want to know how everything is connected & how it will end.

Roxanne said...

Yeah--I've said "Oh my" at the t.v. screen a time or two at the end of Lost. Hubby rented season one from the library so we could "rewatch", but it was so exhausting the first time that I couldn't do it again.

I might try on "Oh----JUNK" for size this season.

Hey it's Amy Shipp said...

Okay, Your family time sounds groovy, but I guess I'll have to rent the past seasons or something, cuz, um. I've never seen it. *feelingleftout*

BTW Penelope~ You're writing thingy sounds fun!

Ann said...

Oh man, I started by renting season one. I was hooked after the first few episodes and stayed up till morning to watch episode after episode, then traded it in for season two. I got in on season three and can't WAIT for it to start up again. Everyone says they're making it up as they go. Sometimes it really seems that way when they add so many subplots. We'll see what the writers do this season.

By the way, Hurley is my favorite. Does your family have favorites? Oh! I also love Claire, she's such a sweetheart.

Laura said...

I don't think I've seen even one episode all the way through, but if their writing is half as good and yours, I can see why it would be addictive. :)

The Preacher's Wife said...

OH I LOVE LOST!

We took seasons one and two on vacation this summer and watched every single episode. 48 forty minute episodes.

you do the math.

Anyway, you'll be glad to know we are currently rewatching season 3 before the premiere this month. I've seen them all, but it's important to go in fresh if you want to have any idea what is going on.

And was Joe yelling over JACOB??

:)

Sister Honey Bunch said...

I am such a Lost addict. I can't wait for this season to finally begin!

samurai said...

There are so many shows I am glad that I do not watch... not because they are bad shows, but because I know that I will just have to watch each and every episode...

I also really like the "Oh Junk!"... and the fact your son is no longer known as "Joe Cool"... made me chuckle. :-)

Robin said...

My family just finished watching Season 3 on Netflix - we LOVE it! Now we are all ready for season 4.

I thought the same thing as you - similar to Uncharted. In fact I have decided that all these people on the island are really dead. They just don't know it. It will be interesting to find out if our "hunches" are correct!
From one LOST fan to another!

Susan said...

We LOVED this when it started. I haven't watched since season 2, however. I even told DS 3 the other day that I couldn't even believe it was still on....definitely something I'd like to catch up on...

:-) Susan

Jen said...

We love LOST and cannot wait for it to return. My MIL bought us the first season the Christmas my son was born so we sat and watched it constantly since we had a new born and didnt go anywhere. We got addicted.....and have never missed an episode since.

oh amanda said...

Only 20 more days until the new season! I. CANNOT. WAIT. So glad you joined the Lost cult, too.

BTW, I read Uncharted, too. What a great book!